Game Review - Hawken vs Mech Warrior Online

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Lord Gowron, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Lord Gowron

Lord Gowron New Member

I have been looking for the best FREE 2 PLAY online games lately. In my valiant quest I came across the two mama jammers of mech warfare. Hawken and Mech Warrior Online (MWO). Nothing feels better than stepping out of my rubber slippers and into the cold metal shell of a machine made for destruction.

[​IMG]

SOUND

Hawken offers nothing new here, the sound is what you would expect. Just about average. In MWO u can actually hear the heat dispersion of the lasers as it blasts the energy beam to your target. It just sounds more realistic.

4 / 5  MWO

3 / 5  Hawken

GRAPHICS, ART DIRECTION

Hawken uses a hyper realistic, gritty, cell shaded approach. The post-apocalyptic futuristic environment puts you in a gloomy perspective complete with dull colours and blocky architecture. This comes in quite handy while trying to dodge EMP bombs, rockets and ballistic weaponry.

MWO takes a more rendered approach which evokes a sense of reality. However it hasn't cleared the "uncanny valley". There is a sense of looking into an atrium rather than riding a metal beast of mayhem.

2 / 5  MWO

3 / 5  Hawken

[​IMG]

Hawken HUD

[​IMG]

Mech Warrior Online HUD

GAMEPLAY

MWO is for the strategists, the patient gamer. Did I say patient? In seven minutes you would be taking down your first mech. Definitely a more realistic approach here. This makes victory so much more rewarding.

Simply put Hawken is another Black Light Retribution. It's way faster paced than Mech Warrior Online. In seven minutes you could be on a 25-2 killing spree or the receiving end of one. Who wants to think when you can just blow stuff up? The game is more fun and I definitely play it more.

4 / 5  MWO

4 / 5  Hawken

CONCLUSION

If you've been keeping count, both games are tied on points at 10 out of a possible 15. They truly offer a unique mech warfare experience that stands apart from each other. I recommend that you try both games to decide for yourself.

If you feel that you have what it takes. Feel FREE to join the battle. Both games are FREE 2 PLAY!

HAWKEN -  http://www.playhawken.com

Mech Warrior Online - http://mwomercs.com/

Read full article...