Why does the concept of "Ultimate Gamer" fail ?

Discussion in 'The Trinigamers Round Table' started by Geese, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Geese

Geese Administrator Staff Member

This was originally the subject of an article I started to write a couple weeks ago (and never finished) dealing with this matter, as the trends locally seem to indicate that all major gaming competitions and events want to use a format that seeks to find the ultimate gamer that can seemingly play everything and dominate in many games across various genres.

Looking back at the 2 Arenas & WINTV Gamerz both of which failed, it seems that history is set to repeat itself again. Why do people from the outside seem to think that there must be one person who can play everything at high level ? (and it is possible theoritically but highly improbable)

I'd like your thoughts on this. I'll post what I had when I get home for further musing.

2. Hero

Hero New Member

Ultimate gamer is impossible. Not for the obvious reason of time to practice and master but even geniuses of gameplay have mindsets/styles.

What I am trying to say is some gamers have an edge in games because of their way of thinking and their personality. A defensive/counter attack gameplay style can be beaten by someone who has perfected offense. And vice-versa.

3. scaR

scaR New Member

It's because they don't see gaming as a sport. Suggest the term ultimate sportsman to them and they would realise how ridiculous this is.

They also use this as a marketing ploy for a prize that no one could ever win. Just for the publicity it would generate.

4. Dn2

Dn2 New Member

it not the matter of the of "Ultimate Gamer" concept failing....it the stupid ppl and the fact that non-gaming ppl or ppl not in touch with the gaming community try to do these things...

5. phoenix31tt

phoenix31tt New Member

hit the nail on the head, thais about it there...

people just see games as... games.. as far as they concerned it have no different skill sets etc...

just as with anything else in life.. you cannot master it all, u can be good @ most things... but you will have your specialty and so will others

6. Hero

Hero New Member

I disagree . Most serious gamers see the game as much more.

7. Hidden

Hidden New Member

8. scaR

scaR New Member

... @ din din

Obviously not following the gaming scene locally close enough.

9. phoenix31tt

phoenix31tt New Member

umm we not talking bout gamers... we talking bout local organization of events as geese pointed out

@ all those triathalon decathlon etc...
    an athlete who soley focuses on running will beat a triathlete in running anyday...

which is what i said earlier... they may be good across the board but not better than someone who focuses on a single sport... same with gaming...

why do u think they hold seperate events for triathletes?
    if they do that for gaming then they would make some sense