Valve confirms innovative hardware development

Discussion in 'Tech Zone' started by scaR, Apr 15, 2012.

1. scaR

scaR New Member

A recent job posting by Valve outlines their need for a hardware based talent pool. While they are exploring the option this blog by newly hired employee, Micheal Abrash explains their mentality.

To be clear, this is R&D – it doesn’t in any way involve a product at this point, and won’t for a long while, if ever – so please, no rumors about Steam glasses being announced at E3. It’s an initial investigation into a very interesting and promising space, and falls more under the heading of research than development. The Valve approach is to do experiments and see what we learn – failure is fine, just so long as we can identify failure quickly, learn from it, and move on – and then apply it to the next experiment. The process is very fast-moving and iterative, and we’re just at the start. How far and where the investigation goes depends on what we learn. - Micheal Abrash

[​IMG]

The job posting expresses a desire go beyond branded mice, keyboards and other generic accessories. I'd love to see some of the concepts they have come up with so far.

For years, Valve has been all about writing software that provides great gameplay experiences. Now we’re developing hardware to enhance those experiences, and you can be a key part of making that happen. Join our highly motivated team that’s doing hardware design, prototyping, testing, and production across a wide range of platforms. We’re not talking about me-too mice and gamepads here – help us invent whole new gaming experiences. - Valve Hardware Engineer Job Posting

2. zWereWolfRipper

zWereWolfRipper New Member

I believe the valve box may be already here, well hardware capabilities anyway! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG6kHr0vF4A