Thinking of doing the 360 controller d-pad mod...

Discussion in 'Mods, Guides & Overclocking' started by kayode, Aug 28, 2008.

1. kayode

kayode Active Member

...for a 360 wireless controller I bought for my PC.

It's supposed to make the d-pad on the Xbox (and 360) controller work much better than it actually does.

I've read a lot about it and it looks simple enough. Only problem is that it requires at least one tool that I don't have readily. One is a T8H Security screwdriver. I checked a few hardware places and they only have down to T10.

So I wanted to know: Has anyone done this mod locally that we know of? Anyone has the tool? Any tips?

2. murdoh

murdoh New Member

i heard something about this a whle ago, if u get it done tell me the difference

3. scaR

scaR New Member

T10 is usually the smallest you can find. However I have a T6 which usually works for cell phones and some pocket knives ect. If you have links with pics I can try the screwdriver with my 360 controller to see if it fits.

4. Geese

Geese Administrator Staff Member

Aren't they releasing a new controller for the 360 with an improved d-pad soon ? I think I saw that somewhere probably SRK or something.

5. kayode

kayode Active Member

The new controller with the improved d-pad is a limited edition promotional item for a football game in Europe.

scaR, here's the link to the fix. Should have put it in the OP.

http://www.ufighterx.com/guides/videogame/360dpadfix/360dpadfix.htm

It's supposed to be doable without opening the controller, but I rather do it thoroughly.

6. scaR

scaR New Member

The T6 is a lot smaller than the screw head :( I tried allen keys but those are 5 point, torx are 6 point. It might have worked but those screws have this annoying pin in the middle that prevents you from just using anything else.

I did manage to use a 2.0 mm flat precision screwdriver that had the corner broken off to wedge between the pin in the middle and the sides of the screw head and it did remove and put back in the screw. However you have to be very careful not to let it slip. Since you're using the wrong tool slipping might wear down the head till the screwdriver can't work any more.

So 2.0 mm precision flat, grind the tip down on a brick till it can wedge into the screw head. If I were you I would replace the original screws with phillip head screws just in case it ever needs opening again.

[​IMG]

7. kayode

kayode Active Member

I most likely have something that size here.

Bah, I expected it to reach today, but it lookin like tomorrow or Tuesday. :(

Lookin forward to tryin it with Grid and Assassin's Creed. I might give yall an unboxing...the lamest and latest unboxing of all time. :p

8. kayode

kayode Active Member

Got it.

Love it.

It's weighty and fits great in my big hands. As expected, I love the placement of the left analog. It feels a lot more natural. The triggers are great, although it's weird that they register as a single axis. Didn't stop me from driving a few good races in Grid, though.

Wireless is the icing on the cake. I love not having to wrap it up afterwards, and being able to move it around without worrying about stepping on or rolling over wires.

9. shadow_hitokiri

shadow_hitokiri New Member

yeah i got mine over the summer since i had a 360 already and needed a 4th controller and also a controller for the lappy i got the 360 controller with a wireless usb attachment and i must say its decent but the d pad is very stiff...