The future of competitive Gaming.

Discussion in 'The Trinigamers Round Table' started by bill, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhoeniX

PhoeniX New Member

You ever meet tm1? bill is a scholar

2. Ihsan

Ihsan New Member

You have more history than me. I don't agree with much of what toppers did in his handling of the dota incident. I actually agree with most of what you are saying but let's be real, money talks. There can never be pro gamers if nobody pays them.
    You are assuming that if we have have better players we will have people to sponsor them. That is, sadly, absurd.
    Pro gamers need sponsors, sponsors need a market. The market is casual gamers.
    I don't think I have blinders on when I say we need to have proof that sponsored gaming tournaments can be successful even if the manager is not a gamer. It's a a stage our gaming must go through. We all benefit and can move on after.

I have a lot of respect for you SCAR and i would like to thank you for the whole broodwar installer bit. I have no doubt that you can run a better gaming tournament, what you can't do is convince anybody to pay for it. Everybody has their purpose. Everybody can do something. The dream is still alive(?)

3. phoenix31tt

phoenix31tt New Member

yea well is time for some men to let people do there part... as u said... gettin the money is one thing... but managin the thing is something diff... there services were offered... it was refused... what next?

4. Xecutiona

Xecutiona New Member

the dream doesnt involve playing non competitive games in what is carded as a major gaming tournament

the dream doesnt involve the exclusion of real gaming expertise from the structuring of the tournament

the dream doesnt only involve five donated cellphones for a team that trains together constantly.(the 1000 can easily be raised through pot prize)

the dream doesnt promise sponsorship to international tournaments and then refuse to fulfil the prize a la ARENA 1( which is not only highly distasteful and immoral but also ILLEGAL)

the dota incident that occured this year sounds familiar with all of the other tournaments occuring throughout arena 1 (which was not only toppas fault, but the folly of gatt...but he(toppa) still gets main blame)

you say that the market is casual gamers, gamers who would come to play a lil game, watch some anime and lime...thats all good and well, but i can also tell you that REAL gaming tournaments have competitive games along with non-competitive games

sure you have the smash and tekken, dota whatever. but if you want respect in the gaming world for a world class tournament, you need

Counterstrke
    Warcraft 3(not dota)
    Starcraft
    fifa-or PES(depending on if you going according to wcg or eswc
    command and conquer 3
    gran turismo 4

and the competitive list goes on.....all you have to do is look and you would find.

the proper introduction and marketing of the tournament with these games throughout the gaming organisations,cafe's etc would definately bring a crowd to a tournament.

the dream is a very structured dream, one which can definately be attained. but the right thing must be done by people...cause what you dont know would definately bite you in the ass someday.

5. Ihsan

Ihsan New Member

By any yardstick Arena was pretty small, but it was the biggest I've seen so far (sponsorship making a major difference).
    I am pretty young still but I'm old enough to know that industrys don't grow overnight.

All can agree that sponsorship makes the events bigger, size increases the prize money, prize money raises the standard by attracting more "serious" gamers. Time has proven that it doesn't happen the other way around.

It's easy to predict that Toppers will not be running the biggest e-gaming event in 10 years, TG probably will. My question is how big will that event be?

Think about it.

6. Ihsan

Ihsan New Member

(Double Post Cleanup, please delete)

7. Xecutiona

Xecutiona New Member

prize money isnt the only thing that attracts big gamers....the fact that there would be other big gamers there participating is a bigger factor...the title as "the best" is a bigger motivating factor

the money is the icing on the cake.

what we have to do is to broaden the horizons of gaming. talk to hotels, travel agents, airlines etc... to encourage packages to trinidad. talk to the TDC and see what they are willing to offer if we can encourage foreign gamers to come. make it a regional event. if this can be made annual, by the second year we would become ESWC compliant and can receive further funding and organisational expertise from them

8. Ihsan

Ihsan New Member

You obviously have no bills to pay but I can agree with you on that. Problem is that we just don't have anything big enough to prove to the business community that it makes sense. We simply need multiple events as-big-as and larger-than Arena before that happens.

9. Geese

Geese Administrator Staff Member

Sadly if events like Arena keep disappointing the business community that may never happen.

10. Larutus

Larutus New Member

EGO alert?
    BEEF alert?

Please do not quote me out of context, it reflects poorly on your ability to comprehend posts.

Ihsan, I've read all your posts here regarding Arena and promoting gaming i nthe country... and quite frankly you have alot to learn. There is alot more i could say to this but it does not really matter, whether or not you think Arena was the single greatest chance we had of promoting gaming is totally irrelevant. What matters is how our org presents itself when approaching potential sponsors and also how we present ourselves to the gamers we seek to satisfy.
    Unlike some people we do not do this for money or rather personal profit, we do this because we just want to give all gamers an oppurtunity to have something better. Not sure if you would understand what that means, but like i said, it doesn't matter.

anyhow, i going to celebrate, Pakistan just beat Australia

11. Paradoxxx

Paradoxxx New Member

I have no clue as to why Toppers keeps refusing help from TG with regards to organizing their PC events. We have offered our services to them FREE of charge for both events.

Bill what keeps holding back 'progress' of gaming is that the wrong people are getting the right sponsors. The wrong people have the right contacts. Many people are of the opinion that anyone can have a tournament once they have money for prizes, this is far from true.

This may sound bias but TG is the best group to ally yourself with when it comes to gaming in Trinidad and Tobago. Sad to say the other organizations lack the human resources and experience that TG has developed over the years.

Sounds EGO-ish huh? The difference is that TG offers its assistance to the other organizations to ensure their events have similar success as ours. Why would TG do this? With each failure of an event especially those which are heavily advertised and attract the eye of the business sector, possible sponsors get turned off from gaming. Businesses want to see a large turn out of happy people with positive feedback. We need their money and can't afford for them to turn away from e-sports.

12. TaC_Up

TaC_Up New Member

That's last part is pushing it a bit far, we need to get the local act in order first before we even start thinking about bringing foreigners. If we do bring them in and mess up the tourney then they won't come back. First impression counts for alot.

13. Ihsan

Ihsan New Member

No comment.

The first time I saw Topper and Darren (aka Skinnyman) making plans for arena two things were immediately clear:
    If you want a rational conversation about gaming, talk to the gamer: Darren.
    If you want a rational conversation about sponsorship or marketing, talk to Topper.

Just my observation.

14. Mr Shooter

Mr Shooter New Member

Ok so this discussion going great, I would like to give my 2 cents again.
    Promoting an event of Arena size is hard work and will take a lot of peperation thats why WE ALL who are serioius about pushing competitive gaming in our region need to come together and get this done, I really have to agree with Geese, at present we are using the wrong games for competitive play and the proper introduction of Regional/International competitive games is needed I have shared these ideas with Administrative staff of Tg so hopefully we can begin the process that is requiered.
    In concern with sponsers, i'm sure, yes very sure, that if another event of this size is to be held sponsers will come. Mistakes happen but looking to closely at them will deny you the lesson of why that mistake was made and how to avoid it in the future.
    If the discussion is about competitive gaming and its future then ppl, have faith in the Trinigamers Administration, our future as an Organization is bright and sure once we have the level of dedication needed to drive the weakest of hearts to be inspired.
    My name is Mr Shooter and I fully support any and all events held by Trinigamers and its members, lets turn this thread into a where do we go from here, instead of bash Arena thread, I seriously feel we can move a mountain if we work together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.