The best arcade in Trinidad and Tobago!

Discussion in 'Arcade Euphoria' started by Kull, Jan 10, 2009.

1. New Era Outlaw

New Era Outlaw Active Member

Well, for me, Colsort Mall was the place to be, especially if you were into Marvel vs. Capcom and Street Fighter. It had quite a crowd around those machines, as I recall. I learned of the place when I ran away from school (STAY IN SCHOOL AND BEHAVE, CHILDREN) with a few friends of mine one day. Since then, I've been hooked, and I quickly became a regular at the place.

Well, Marvel was my game of choice there.
    Back then, you could've faced off against a wide variety of people.
    There was Sheppard, Daniel, Gambit (anyone want to take a guess at who he plays), Mengsk (who always managed to make me fly off the handle like a bi-yotch) and David. The player who always stuck out in my mind as being the best there was Chinee. The man's Strider does deliver LEVEL chops on you.

Either way, the competition was great. If you were new to the game (I was), that was your school of hard knocks. If you played EASY Mode, you get LEVEL cutass. If you were a masher, you would get LEVEL cutass. In other words, you learned to play that game right, or you're walking home without a single win to your name. Quarter was neither drawn nor given, and some players were not above getting some kicks off of you if you were losing badly (Chinee would double jump ALL over the place with Strider if Roll was my last player left and she had barely enough life to make a cup of tea.)

So, back then, I got licks. And I enjoyed every moment of it (even when I acted otherwise.) And it's becuse of that that I hardened my resolve to become better.

But, anyway, about Colsort Mall.
    As much as I liked the place and miss it so, there was one thing I never, ever did stand about the place, and it was something that eventually led to its downfall.

...anybody know what I'm talking about? No?

SURVEY SAYS!

*ding!*

The God DAMN SPRANGERS.
    Made things a living hell for quite a few of us there, especially when they tried to rob me on one occassion and even managed to break in one night and steal some of the games there.

According to rumours, it got so bad that the mall eventually evicted them, and the arcade retreated to Chaguanas. I don't think it lasted long, which was quite a shame.

And thus ended the saga of Colsort Mall.

2. kayode

kayode Active Member

Oh, so that's what happened.

3. scaR

scaR New Member

Does any local arcade have Street Fighter 4 machines? I know they are available but I'm not sure if they've trickled down to our country as yet.

4. Geese

Geese Administrator Staff Member

None as far as I know, here's why

You need 2 kits for versus.

5. scaR

scaR New Member

WAW @ that price. That probably worth more than some arcades yes.

Don't local guys simply buy the hardware, build their own boxes and acquire the ROMs then pump it out at cheaper prices?

6. New Era Outlaw

New Era Outlaw Active Member

That's probably what they're going to resort to to stay in business, so yes.

Either way, arcades are just going the way of the dinosaur, now.
    They're falling dead like flies all over the place, and with the big cheeses taking their business online through the X-Box LIVE and the PSN networks, where you can face off against players from all over the world, who really needs an arcade anymore?

On the flipside, I feel so bitter at that revelation.
    There's a certain thrill you can only get from an arcade.
    Consort Mall was my heroin and God knows it. Couldn't keep me away from that place.

7. Games Man

Games Man New Member

colsort mall had way too many shady characters & crowds , kind of place if u not tough looking or come in with padnas u had to be very cautious ...went in 1 or 2 times but not me & that gangsta looking place

used to hang out by playmax in d late 90s when they were in 2001 plaza , d management kept d place neat , a\c freezing & good games

those who might remember galaxy games in d 90s in centre city in chaguanas had some nice games too - love to play world heroes 2 jet which not too much ppl know about , though d place had a very strong stink smell - u bathe & coming from home & from d time u open d door d old boots smell used to hit u & have u smelling just so in minutes thats y i went playmax instead

these days i go to PLAYERS ARCADE located upstairs on chaguanas main road , d 4th building from busy corner , they have about 12 machines & d scene cool\nice ,plenty sick men in xmen vs sf & hyper , svc choas , samurai 4 etc , i see they doing some renovation to bring in some more games

8. kayode

kayode Active Member

You fuh real?

Cautious? Cautious about what?

STEUPS.

Nobody in Colsort Mall was on any gangsta business. I lime in there as a 12-year-old schoolboy in uniform and nobody harass me. I play game in there at all hours, even on Carnival Tuesdays, over the course of almost ten years, and the most I ever see was a schoolboy fight.

Who is these gangstas who was scarin yuh, exactly? The lil street urchins who used tuh beg for change and get thrown out?

I eh know nuh...aside from Colsort Mall I played for years in Green Corner (where a man was murdered) and Back 2 Basics (opposite the Morvant taxi stand), and all I ever see in them places was men thirst on game.

Yuh know where I had my only shady experience in an arcade? Piarco International. The old terminal. My brother and I were playing a game there and a fella approached us trying to sell us some kind of drug. We walked away quickly. I was probably about 12, he woulda been 10.

9. Venomlord

Venomlord New Member

in the past :

Colsort Mall was the D place to be... i remember people lining up to play MK 2 in the early 90's...

The Games World at the old Trinicity Mall was a sweat box but it always had good games. Everyone was rushing to play Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles : Turtles in Time and my favorite, Golden Axe.

LCM had a nice big arcade with lots of different games.

presently :
    Funcity at Trincity and Gulf City are the best right now.

There is an arcade at the new airport but no one ever plays the games.

MovieTowne POS has the worst arcade ....most of the games are broken.

10. Raging Cascadoo

Raging Cascadoo New Member

Lol! I remember the galaxy games stink! That bring back some youth memories...I think that was the first arcade I ever went to. That was one of the few arcades that use to have the original arcade cabinets.

I use to visit most of the arcades in the chaguanas area when I was in school but I doubt any of them still alive. 2001 plaza, players and the one in center point mall...My most frequently visited arcade was in grand bazaar. It had most of the games I use to play and broken machines use to get fixed pretty quickly, sometimes as soon you complained about it.

Sooo after many years I finally revisited an arcade yesterday, trincity to be exact. All I can say is arcade kina gone through....buttons not working, joystick feeling like crap and no sweat box scent? LMAO!!!

11. ESCOVALEZ

ESCOVALEZ New Member

in my book the best arcade long time was colsort mall you got the most compe down dey and LCM was real nice to but now have to say trincity

12. *_Q_*

*_Q_* Member

Trincity has it's moments but some of the games don't work, they hardly have any new stuff and competition is little to none. For the past few times I've been there since my marriage, I slew everyone in sight and ended up leaving, sighing, shaking my head and saying to myself "This is why I'm retired". Trincity has worn out its kudos as far as I'm concerned.

I miss the days of Back-To-Basics by the Cathedral when I was freakin deified. I miss being a digital god. :(
    Fun City in Arima and Passions were the places to be as well once-upon-a-time. Men like Cactus, Fatboy, Isaac, Tony... Good fight, good times.

For competition, Chaguanas' Player's Arcade is good. There's a nice variety of games too, from KoF98 to MvC to SF EX2. The Sam Sho 4 buttons are a mess but at least there's a challenge and the games actually WORK. They are also the most hardcore XMen vs SF players I've come across locally.

South has some good competition too but I've been told that I go there at the wrong times, that's why I hardly get any fight, lol. Now THEY are the best Samurai 4 players I've met since Colsort Mall. I even tried to organise a North vs South slash-out but plans fell through.

I've heard as well that San Juan has some serious MvC2 players. They've done their homoework.

St James' Video Arcade is sadly no more. That was the last place I knew of that all the old-school heads for SF2 Turbo used to gather. That game was on "Battle 99" for HOURS and is SERIOUS skills/lix passin, lol. RIP St James arcade.

But hey... My red headband is untied and my roamin-and-fightin days are done so that's that for me I guess.

13. jerzy black

jerzy black New Member

i back this

14. *_Q_*

*_Q_* Member

Friday I heard that Player's Arcade in Chag is no more. The owner closed it to open a clothes store. Dafuq? :(

15. Loki

Loki New Member

is chag, clothes always selling there.