Techie Software Pack

Discussion in 'Software' started by wildchild, Jun 20, 2011.

1. wildchild

wildchild Member

I wish for us to create a localized Software Pack, as most of us are IT Techies, that contains a list of the most effective programs that gets the job done in terms of system repair, maintenance, recovery etc.

I wish for this list to be dynamic, continuously add new data to a list for ease of access. And if/when it gets larger we can separate the information in categories.

It would make sense to still create separate threads about useful software we come across and/or use/tested regularly. But then to be placed as a 'meca' sticky in the software tab so new/old users won't have to skim through multiple threads or create duplicate threads about questions concerning software already asked & answered.

I feel as thou i did something like this before but it wasn't created as a sticky. Trying to create a helpful log like what we did for skybox services in the classifieds section.

I also request that you don't just slap a program on our laps when you yourself haven't tested it. The purpose of this list is for us to share what tools we have in our arsenal that is effective at it's designation. This is to help us all be better at what we do or aim to accomplish.

2. wildchild

wildchild Member

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
    Freeware malware removal program. Used this on many occasions to get rid of "Vista Antivirus 2012" applications & the like. Very effective at it's job.

Spybot Search & Destroy

Application to scan for spyware, adware, hijackers and other malicious software. I use this in conjunction with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

CCleaner
    Used to clean system registry, uninstall programs, removed 'bugged' programs in your uninstall list, and clean up temporary files on your system and internet cookies etc.

Recuva
    Used to recover deleted files. Can ever recover files destroyed from viruses etc.

Driver Genius Professional
    A program worth investing in. Ever got a system to re-install Windows & after doing the deed Windows cannot detect most installed hardware? Which includes the Ethernet adapter? Then you'd have to shutdown the system take a peek at the motherboard and do the grueling search online for the drivers? With this program, before you format it can create a total backup of all drivers on the system. And after formatting just install the program on the fresh system and restore all drivers. It can even find updated versions of all component drivers and download them directly for you.

USB Safely Remove
    Ever had to remove your flash and got the popup, device in use? This program will tell you what is holding onto your removalable media and allow you to kill that application. Even when you safely remove it you have the option to re-connect to it without having to manually pull out & re-insert the media device. You can even power down devices in Win 7.

Blue Screen View
    Can be used after a BSOD, provided the system creates a mini dump file, to view the error that was displayed. Shows the date/time of the crash, what caused it, a driver or application.

3. wildchild

wildchild Member

Currently looking for :

-A proper, dependable defragmentation application.

-A program that would detect errors on the system, after an irregular shutdown, and repair it

-Software that would detect what is slowing down a system and repair or show solutions / optimize the system (i remember long ago Norton utilities would do this, last used that in 1997 >.<)

4. soldier

soldier New Member

Hirens boot disk...

For defrag i use defraggler

5. kriminal

kriminal New Member

Well windows own error checking actually helps with the second request you have.
    as you that i have been trying to remember software i used the checks a HDD for bad sectors, quarantines the bad sectors and moves data from the sectors.

if anybody remembers the name tell me!

as soldier say Hirens the whole Lot of software that may be mention can be added to the Hirens

6. wildchild

wildchild Member

ok that Hiren's boot CD just smash my entire purpose like a wrecking ball. Good Job.

7. Geese

Geese Administrator Staff Member

This thread is a good idea even if Hiren's does exist. Not everyone is a techie but that doesn't mean they won't be looking for a app to help troubleshoot problems.

What you could try is breaking down Hiren's CD by category for the people that might be looking for a specific app for a specific purpose.

8. scaR

scaR New Member

Filehippo.com has a good selection of useful free apps. It's not exhaustive but a lot of good options there.

thumbs UP @ the idea!

9. mojo

mojo New Member