Switzerland declares piracy for personal use legal

Discussion in 'Life, the Universe and Everything' started by ck, Dec 4, 2011.

1. ck

ck New Member

Shamelessly stolen from tl.net but I thought it could make for a good discussion here.

Source

Thoughts? How many of you actually live up to the try before you buy and actually buy what you have downloaded?

For me I only purchase my games of steam because of all that which makes steam awesome. Give me something like steam for me music,tv show and movies and have it available in our region and probably would also buy it legit.

2. scaR

scaR New Member

Nice to see Switzerland following Canada's lead on this. Prosecuting end users is pointless. It's better to target the people who make a profit from piracy. It's even better for copyright holders to adapt to the change in technology and offer a real value to consumers.

That is where it's at for me as well.

3. *_Q_*

*_Q_* Member

^ I think that's where it's at for a lot of ppl, lol.

Interesting development, this.

4. kaizen

kaizen New Member Staff Member

I remember when I was rampant pirate never use to buy anything :3.. oh those days.
    I think this is a fair structure but I know a lot of people down here try and never buy, I myself have been guilty of that in the past not anymore though.. there is amazon/itunes when it comes to music personally I like amazons mp3 sale system more than itunes but the region blocking can be annoying at times, as for movies I'll just wait ill it comes out on netflix(or goes on sale at amazon) the price of movies Imho are ridiculous.

5. LQDSNK

LQDSNK New Member

I'm still guilty of trying and not buying, although Steam sales have done loads to curtail that. I bought L4D1 & 2 and ME 1 & 2 after i had already beaten them.

I am still guilty when it comes to music though, sometimes it's laziness, sometimes it's cheapness and sometimes the music just isn't good enough.

For movies, there are very few cinema worthy movies anymore imho. The only point of going is for the time spent with whomever you go with.

Recognizing all the work that goes into these things though, and actually having a job now, i'll try to purchase more legitimate copies of media content.