Pimp Your Case

Discussion in 'Mods, Guides & Overclocking' started by bushman, Dec 16, 2005.

1. CRaZYMoFo

CRaZYMoFo New Member

Those fans are not there anymore. That is an old pic that i posted to show mojo something. Neither are all those messy cables. I should take some new pics oui

Also those fans did drop my temps (especially the PWMIC) and the system did seem more stable. No disadvantages having them there for me.

Until I get some more extra $$ I cant really improve my airflow but I hav no probs right now and that is all that matters. I do plan to mount the fan differently and will share any ideas I come up with ;)

2. opium

opium New Member

u serious need to go back to school or really check the readings of yuh case

first water cooling doh keep yuh case cooler

infact water cooling is ah HUGE waste of time money and only benfit is less noise

another thing is the temp of yuh cpu is a little higher than the temp in yuh case

now with big HSF like mines and what para and crazy have we cpu temps about the same as the case temps yes 120mm HSF does wonders

and the fans over the ram ?
    yes it does keep yuh ram cooler, ah man like u dat doh use expensive high clock ram wont know that :p

i dont have a fan over my ram but my cpu fan does have a good flow to it and i also have a extra 120mm fan blowing air over it while the case 120mm fans removes that
    hot air

if ram never need cooling why do they have heat speaders on it? to look cool?

3. Paradoxxx

Paradoxxx New Member

The air from the CPU HS is going to be above that of the ambient temp. We are blowing 'case air' on to a hot HS and thus the air temp will rize.

Bush is trying to say that it is not recommended to use air that has already been used to cool a device to cool another. Which is common sense.

Bush made reference to phasecooling and not water which cools the ambient temps significantly and thus using air that passes over this to cool your ram/system is cool :)

This is a big topic, trying to get maximum FLOW while minimizing on dust and noise etc etc reusing the same air over and over isn't cool.

4. gambitt

gambitt New Member

A good question.

Short answer: Wind chill.

Long answer: It has to do with the way heat gets moved. In this case it would be convection to the air in the case. Convection causes the fluid in the case, in this case air to move and take the heat with it. But if we put in a fan, it causes the air to move faster, so it can take more heat off of the component faster. (Think of it as enhanced convection and so faster heat loss.)

Now blowing cool air will take off more heat than blowing hot air, and that's why we try to create a pathway for the air in our cases, sucking in cool air (usually from the bottom) and blwoing out the hot air (usually at the top). Or even this http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/10/25/syt...therm_ics_8200/

Water cooling is even more efficient, because the specific heat capacity of air smaller than the specific heat capacity of water. That means that every gram of water that passes takes a crap load more heat to raise its temperature by 1 degree, so the system can take more heat away from a component, if the rates of flow of the cooling fluid is equivalent.

The fans in that case could be just spinning, the way you say, but if they are facing in the right directions they could all be enhancing the movement of air and so the rate of convection.

If you want totally silent (well not totally for some rather strange reasons) peltier cooling is what you want. Not the way they have done in the case above, but actually mounting the peltier cool end on the CPU, GPU and whatever else and putting some active cooling on the hot end. So long as you are able to keep cranking the power to the system up and cool the hot end, you can have sub zero temps and more.

Check it out.

5. doomtack

doomtack New Member

Doh mean to be off topic.. but since d topic at hand is cooling... :mellow:

i wanted to get a start on ocing my sempron 2200+
    but so far d temps on my cpu starts at 41 and goes to 51 after intense using...
    an i know dat not good enough. <_<

rite now i not sure wat cooling in dere so far... all i know is dat apart from d cpu fan, i got 2 smaller fans at th bottom of th case

so wa ya'll suggest i get?

6. nazi_rat

nazi_rat New Member

hey bush man if i give u a clean white case ( yes a normal case) can u mod it up for me? like put some kinda grahpical desighn on it and fix it real cool!?
    cuz if so i can give it to u buy saturday (if i get transport )

7. bushman

bushman New Member

depends on wat u want done. but yes i can do it after carnival.
    when it comes to designs they cant be too fancy as that would take days to do a proper engraving.

tell me wat u want me to do and ill tell u if i can do it.
    and also it depends on how much u want to spend on materials

ral cool to me would maby be putting a nice white 2 tone pearl paint on it veyr high glossy finish. add some extra blowholes and create a positive air pressure in the case with some nice 70 cfm neon fans installed. i could go even further and buy a window kit. maby cut the window out in a nice shape maby a nice easy to cut symbol like claws and maby use red laser leds on the window alone hmmmmmmmm.

any way wats your budget.

also u dont need money to improve your cooling, its making a case nice and fancy looking that cpost moula. card board tape and some sponges dont really cost alot and can usually be found around the house. most expencive parts proberly will be fans, which for me i have a few always lying around and i bet most of you do as well.

a proper airducting job on the inside of your case can reduce your cpu and video card temperatures better than like 99% of the water cooling units available. only thing better is phase change and liquid nitrogen

8. bushman

bushman New Member

1 question though is exactly how did you measure your rams temperatures ?

also here is a example of some aidducting i used to have in my case.
    http://www.overclockers.com/tips1187/

note only downfalls ive found when using this is

i reccomend u remove it when moving the pc long distances
    and make sure u get it done proerly dont rush it and risk damageing your pc parts as ive learnt from experience, its like the saying measure twice cut once.

9. Paradoxxx

Paradoxxx New Member

Nice link, I think his 'update' is more practical should anyoen want to mod their PC in this way.

10. bushman

bushman New Member

but likemi said it takes a steady hand and somebody with alittle vision as each job will be different because of motherboards and all your other parts. heck u mite have to think of a new way to do it entirely. but the point is once u get it doneit will work wonder.s first time i did it i was amazed to the temperatures olf my video card.

Thye droped so drastically simply because all the air hitting it was 100% cooler air from the outside as all the hot nasty air from the cpy and ram where being shot straight outsider with no chance of recycling. also cp temperatures drop alot as well because of same reason.

11. nazi_rat

nazi_rat New Member

is all that got gona cost more than 300 bux?

12. bushman

bushman New Member

like i said it depends on wta u want me to do. fans cost moula paing depending on wat colours and how many coates u want cost money. im painting my old case a black 2 tone pearl with a protective mirror finish. i added a extra 80mm fan port to the back and fan port at the side of the case to blow air onto my graphics card. all im gonna do is buy some red led high cfm fans which cost 95 tt each.

wat i can maby do is cut the wholes and paint it for you 1 coat of a highgloss paint. but note 1 coat will proberly scratch easily. im not sure how much 1 coat will cost but ill find out.

13. nazi_rat

nazi_rat New Member

can u post of a pic of yrs when u done wit it?

14. bushman

bushman New Member

i havent painted it yet. so far all ive done is sand it down add some extra blow holes and remove some of the rust.

Im thinking of maby doing some more cutting to remove some weight. idont hjave the money yet to paint it. buykng the new parts first before i invest in the paint job.

15. 4ndr050v1c

4ndr050v1c New Member

forgot to post these:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. mojo

mojo New Member

hey andro, just thought i'll mention that those 2 hdds gonna die a lot faster if u have them glued together like that. heat kills hdds really fast.

17. 4ndr050v1c

4ndr050v1c New Member

hmm,thx,any solutions though?

18. mojo

mojo New Member

Drill four screw holes on the bottom of teh case. your chasis will be one huge heatsink :p

Use speedfan to monitor your hdd temps.

19. warrior56

warrior56 New Member

yo man like wat u did....only thing is that u could hav sanded it down a little...u kno do some more fine datails.... anyways here is a look at wat i do...i also do it for ppl at very reasonable prices.....

B4 I modded it was pre modded but I didn’t like it …..

After I did my magic

And well u can see I did wire sorting and added a TERMAL TAKE GOLDEN ORB II

Night shot sorry bout the bad quality…ohh by the way this rig is called XBLADEBEASTRIG
    Specs for this bad boi is
    ASUS A8N-sli premium
    AMD Athlon 64 3700+ cooled with Termal Takes GOLDEN ORB II
    BFG Geforce 7800 GT OC
    Kingston 1Gb RAM
    Plenty fans and other modes by me….

hey i doh kno if the pics will come out if they dont can someone tell me how to do it???

20. Berzerk

Berzerk New Member

nothing uber powerful, jus my new rig with the thermaltake viking casing.

[​IMG]