Overclocking (help)

Discussion in 'Mods, Guides & Overclocking' started by Hero, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Hero

Hero New Member

I am interested in overclocking. I understand there are risks but I would like advice on how to overclock and more importantly How to overclock correctly.
    Definition
    Overclocking is the process of running a computer component at a higher clock rate (more clock cycles per second) than it was designed for or was specified by the manufacturer, usually practiced by enthusiasts seeking an increase in the performance of their computers. Some purchase low-end computer components which they then overclock to higher clock rates, or overclock high-end components to attain levels of performance beyond the specified values. Others overclock outdated components to keep pace with new system requirements, rather than purchasing new hardware.[1]
    People who overclock their components mainly focus their efforts on processors, video cards, motherboard chipsets, and random-access memory (RAM). It is done through manipulating the CPU multiplier and the motherboard's front side bus (FSB) clock rate until a maximum stable operating frequency is reached,

I knew that basic explanation. What I am clueless of is where to start and the precautions to take. I have highlighted in red what i am interested in overclocking for.

I will post my system specs and please tell me what to do. I am also saving for a new video card myself so I am not too worried about that specific part.

Dxdiag
    Machine name: HERO-PC
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090710-1945)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: BIOSTAR Group
    System Model: NF61S-M2A
    BIOS: )Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
    Memory: 2048MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 1982MB RAM
    Page File: 2088MB used, 1876MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16384 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 6100 nForce 405
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_03D1&SUBSYS_14041565&REV_A2
    Display Memory: 793 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 57 MB
    Shared Memory: 735 MB
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (85Hz)
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: SyncMaster
    Monitor Id: SAM0117
    Native Mode: 1024 x 768(p) (84.997Hz)

Let me know if anything more needs to be posted. Kind of in the dark about overclocking and it seems so many people are doing it.

2. phoenix31tt

phoenix31tt New Member

well.. overclocking has become much easier than the past...
    but it requires alot of reading and trial and error... so i'll give you this link to read

i7 overclocking

it's for an i7 but steps should be the same... follow that guide and see what kinda OC you can come up with... you can post back results and questions etc.

in this day and age you shouldnt be able to fry your cpu so just keep your voltages out of the red (in the bios) and you should be safe

3. Hero

Hero New Member

Ok thnx alot , will do . yeah i know where that is thnx.

4. ecktt

ecktt New Member

little later here but; what do u want to over clock?
    cpu, ram, gpu, vram, nb, sb(if present), sound card (if not integrated) or an combination of the previously mentioned?

5. Hero

Hero New Member

well initially what i heard was for gaming to overclock my cpu and my graphics card which incidentally is onboard so its hard to find a guide according.

still trying , i followed one of the guides and well um i did not fully understand so i quickly took off the settings out of fear for my bad fan and the hot days.

I will still overclock , just havent found a guide specific to my spec yet.

Game wise I found this program actually yesterday called gamegain , i tried to pirate it and got caught by em lol but its working well it seems. i can tell at least a 20% increase in gaming performance on the lowest trial setting.

Any of u had experience with these programs? Might it be hogwash?
    I mean I will still be upgrading and overclocking but what u think?

Gamegain

GameGain will optimize your computer performance and make your games run faster without having to upgrade your expensive gaming hardware. Often you find after installing the latest game that you aren't able to run the game at its highest setting, while this often is due to insufficient hardware, it can also occur because Windows is not properly optimized for playing video games.

With GameGain your computer will be optimized to run games, changes made to Windows will help improve frames per second, memory utilization, foreground application CPU priority and hard disk access speed. GameGain works by making permanent modifications to the Windows system registry and system files, these changes affect how your gaming hardware interacts with all the games you have installed on your computer. No patches or modifications are made to the games and no anti-cheat detection software can detect that GameGain has increased the performance of your computer to give you an edge over your online competitors.

Sometimes even the most powerful gaming hardware can be slowed down by the latest games, with GameGain you can increase performance and play these games as they were designed for without having to spend a fortune upgrading your computer.

anyone knows how to overclock specifically a 6100 geforce?

6. soldier

soldier New Member

Just keep increasing the processor speed incrementally till it's not stable. When it's not stable, you up the voltage till its stable. Rinse and repeat.

..@ oc integrated graphics.

7. Hero

Hero New Member

just used a program called powerstip to overclock the graphics card.

Was reading a graphic card overclock forums, guy with card like mines said he went from 425-602 stable.

increased to 602, mem clock left at 100(should i increase?) max is 212

this is an example of what the program looks like,

[​IMG]

8. phoenix31tt

phoenix31tt New Member

ah onboard gcard man... :S...

well u wont see much increases in terms of performance from that either way...

what are the other specs of your system btW?

9. Hero

Hero New Member

its on the first post, in spoiler.

Soldier i increased it by 10mhz , 20 was too much it seems even with the power increase.

Also tweaked windows for performance , game gain tweaked pc, powerstrip has successfully made me be able to run blc and sc2 without frames

I also increased my internet speed.( speed was actually increased for ps3 purposes but ps3 here is used like 2 hours at max so yay me)

^^ not bad for a days work ha? who say gg?

10. soldier

soldier New Member

Fail. Massage fail hero.

11. kriminal

kriminal New Member

hmm... @ OC integrated graphics, i prefer to O/C via bios than software tho...

12. Hero

Hero New Member

lol having the issue of pc randomly shuts off while gaming.

Currently overclocking very slightly but really doubt its overheating.

Also increased gpu speed a bit lately, Can it be that I need to make changes to the amount of power ?

my temps are usually 42 . thats average right?

13. ecktt

ecktt New Member

sounds like a crappy psu and/or mobo imho

no offence, just calling it as I see it.
    You might consider taking your PC by an amateur PC enthusiast to get sorted out.

14. scaR

scaR New Member

I dunno Hero. On board gfx means you can't get more than a miniscule performance gain from ocing. Best you can do here is spend $50 and buy Saga's "http://www.trinigamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8733"]6500 .

Seriously.

15. phoenix31tt

phoenix31tt New Member

16. Hero

Hero New Member

LOL , no offense taken. I stretching my pc far. Um I was afraid of bad ram but I hope thats not the case.

Dw, definitely saving for a good new card. and some other serious upgrades. thnx for help.