need advice on upgrade

Discussion in 'Mods, Guides & Overclocking' started by ¢³²sharpeye, May 21, 2008.

1. phoenix31tt

phoenix31tt New Member

umm 8gigs of ram... on a 32-bit processor... is that possible?

2. kriminal

kriminal New Member

apparently it is......i was refering to my system though.....

3. planning to upgrade to a AMD Athlon 5000+ X2 Dual Core by the end of the mth. and prolly some more ram. lol also have to upgrade my psu lol it's @ 250W hahaa rofl it's a good thing my system doh take much now yes. err open to suggestions on a psu are welcome :D:D. also sli is like only for certain boards or once u have 2 pci-e slots the option is open ? like 1 2.0 pci-e and i normal pci-e ? alos is this a good board ? ASUS M2N-E

4. ecktt

ecktt New Member

Yes it is and can be accessed via PAE. The latency hit is massive but that's how x86 servers worked in the 32bit era. OS support is required and CPU support. 36 and 40 bit memory controllers combined x64 processors and 64 bit OSes makes > 4GB support native.

How de ass u end up with 2.5 Gb?
    Take that 512MB chip and stick it where the sun doh shine Immediately!

Install Vista 64!

You have plenty of RAM and all you hardware has support for it. You WILL be surprised how well it runs compared to XP.

5. phoenix31tt

phoenix31tt New Member

but then your processor and board etc has to support PAE... does sempron support it etc?

6. ecktt

ecktt New Member

Yes

7. err what is PAE (not that savvy) err and i have 3 512 sticks and a 1 gig stick.... had to improvise with what i have available (currently unemployed) :( also vista 64 is packaged separately to vista 32 ? or is it an option u can choose. i have a hacked version with up to vista ultimate at home.

8. soldier

soldier New Member

If you want a copy of Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit you can get a copy from my self or ecktt or anyone else who uses it.

This brings the total number of copies you can get from TG to.... two..

9. kriminal

kriminal New Member

yeh 64bit and 32bit packages are sold separately

10. kriminal

kriminal New Member

hmmm wait you dont happen to have a copy of xp 64bit by chance?

11. phoenix31tt

phoenix31tt New Member

stop promoting piracy!!!

let the man gone buy the thing

12. when buying a processor online it's best to match the model to the supported list from the board manufacturer ?or it does work any ways ?

13. is updating the bios on the motherboard wise ?

14. eddoes

eddoes New Member

hmm

as to the processor: it is important to buy a recommended type but always remember that no matter how fast the processor, the system will only run as fast as the slowest device. i.e if RAM is used @ 533 and processor and FSB is 800 u still only get 533.

15. phoenix31tt

phoenix31tt New Member

its not that simple eh eddoes but good practice none-the-less...

with regards to mobo support... generally you look @ the chipset... all mobos are built around a certain chipset and if ur processor is not bleeding edge then chances are the mainstream chipsets (and mobo's) will support it... once the socket is supported
    of course the supported list means that the cpu in question was actually tested with the board by the manufacturer...

@ updating bios...
    best practice is to update the bios only if you see a problem... or if the mobo manufacturer recommends it
    i update my bios when it can get me a better overclock... other than that things stay the same.

16. 4600+ @ $545.00 or 5000+ @ $775.00 lol hard decision to make. hrmm possible combos are :
    1. 4600 x2 + 1 gb ddr2 800 = $710.00
    2. 5000 x2 = $775.00

17. ecktt

ecktt New Member

I think ur money would be much better spent on a Video card.

Up date ur Bios. Just just about every mother board (minus my piece of shit Asus) improves with a BIOS update.

18. phoenix31tt

phoenix31tt New Member

unless you're an overclocker :)... updating bioses can be very detrimental to ur OC

19. ecktt

ecktt New Member

Yeah, totally agree.....Once again : F@#k you Asus! F&*k you!
    I cah cross 2.7Ghz now.

20. phoenix31tt

phoenix31tt New Member

wanna know something funny... i had a similar problem... i could never achieve my 3.2ghz after a necessary update... recently i removed my sound card (audigy 2 zs) and boom everything working...

3.2ghz is back in effect :S