Laptop GPU Repair

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wildchild, Jun 20, 2011.

1. wildchild

wildchild Member

Problem:

HP Laptop G60-127NR Video Failure. After booting and displaying POST the laptop's display screen is blank.
    Connected a display monitor. No Video. Therefore i ruled out display drivers or back light.
    Ran memory diagnostics on each stick, two in total, as well as the memory bays. All is well.
    Ran hard drive tests, received no errors.
    Disassembled laptop checking fan, dust buildup etc. It's now clean as a whistle.

Conclusion:

I've encountered this before and just ran through the necessary steps to be certain this is the same problem. Out of three HP laptops with this same issue, the fault is with the nvidia GPU.

Before i continue has anyone encountered this before? And the solution to the problem?

2. Doobs

Doobs New Member

i have stopped recommending HP laptops for that very same reason. I'm sure i've encountered that issue no less than 20 times for this year thus far. I always ask them if they are on warranty. if not I tell them time to get a new machine.

3. kriminal

kriminal New Member

yep yep, i will NEVER recommend an HP laptop, alot of their model give that or similar error passed thru enough of those on work.

4. soldier

soldier New Member

replace that board!

or buy a new laptop.. :/

5. wildchild

wildchild Member

This is normally a problem with the pavilion series. The G60 is unexpected.

The problem, from what i understand (i may have gotten a few things incorrect), it has a low-quality solder and repeated use and heat causes the GPU to come out of contact with it. Resulting in the famed black screen after POST.

You require the use of a heat gun or infrared soldering station to re-heat the solder to make contact with the GPU. I'm not to clear on the procedure but from much reading this is a TEMPORARY solution. Possibly 6-9months of use.

The owner of browwers, San Fernando, is in possession of a heat gun. The procedure is costly and he has done it before, but the owner requires the use of the laptop and this is the only machine they own.

So if you all ever come across this issue again you now know what to do.

And please tell laptop users to stop using it on the GOD DAMN BED!! Cause this is the primary reason why the laptop overheats...damn jack@#!$%