K-drama review - You're Beautiful

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by jasonsgirl, Apr 19, 2014.

1. jasonsgirl

jasonsgirl New Member

Hello people. I am proud to present to you the first of my kdrama reviews for trinigamers. I have watched in excess of 50 kdramas since 2010 and I hope that my reviews encourage you to find the same passion for kdrama that I have. 

Title: You’re Beautiful

Also Known As: Minami Shineyo/ He’s Beautiful/ You’re Handsome

Rating:  [​IMG]

Genre: Comedy/Romance

Episodes: 16

Year: 2009

Broadcasting Network: SBS

[​IMG]

Main Actors:

Go Mi Nam/ Go Mi Nyu – Park Shin Hye

Hwang Tae Kyung – Jang Geun Suk

Kang Shin Woo - Jung Yong Hwa

Kang On Yu/ Jeremy – Lee Hong Ki

Review:

This drama is one of my all time favourites. It is also the third kdrama I ever watched (I have watched about 50 of them so far). It’s about a girl, Go Mi Nyu (Park Shin Hye; notable work – Heartstrings, The Heirs) who pretends to be her twin brother while he is away for surgery so that his dreams of becoming an idol star come true.

Her brother, Go Mi Nam, gets a place in a kpop boy band called ANJELL but because he has to have eye surgery in the States, he is unable to show up to sign the contract. His manager decides to track down his twin sister who is a nun-in-training and convinces her to take his place.

[​IMG]

Drama ensues when one of the band members, lead singer Hwang Tae Kyung (Jang geun suk; notable work – Mary Stayed Out All Night) discovers Mi Nam’s secret and inadvertently falls for her.

[​IMG]

I Loved:

The OST for this drama is awesome. Don’t believe me? Check out some of the music below for yourself then:

{youtube}https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB5_j0Lrm24{/youtube}

It certainly does help that both Lee Hong Ki (FT Island) and Jung Yong Hwa (CN Blue) are kpop stars in their own right, having risen to fame through kpop and not acting.

I really enjoyed the chemistry between Tae Kyung and Mi Nam, as well as Shin Woo and Mi Nam. The wonderful acting by all the leads really added depth and emotion to the characters and the plot. The bits of comedy helped lighten the mood, particularly after intense scenes.

This is a lovely, short kdrama if you’re looking for a quick fix. It’s just 16 episodes long so the story does not get drawn out. It’s a heart-warming drama, so if you’re anything like me, be sure to have a box of tissues and ice cream at hand.

[​IMG]

I Strongly Disliked:

Mi Nam at times seemed too daft to be real. I realised that her character needed to be naive and innocent but honestly, you need to be another level of stupid to do some of the things she did in this drama.

That being said, her naivety was for the most part an endearing quality.

Poor, poor Shin Woo. After all he did to help her throughout the drama, she still chose the mean guy over the nice sensitive one. This is why the entire kdrama-fan population rejoiced when we discovered that they both got their own drama and he actually ends up with her (Heartstrings).

Overall Assessment:

This one is definitely worth your time. It’s cute, silly and heart-warming. Enjoy!

Start watching now:  

{youtube}https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXnQu-glHik{/youtube}

Read full article...