DOTA on a EeePC

Discussion in 'PvPGN Server (Read only)' started by Ihsan, May 22, 2008.

1. Ihsan

Ihsan New Member

So I spent the last few days on the ultra-portable ASUS EeePC. This thing is so small you can't take it seriously...at first.
    It's the width and depth of a cable box but half as tall with the lid closed. It has a solid state harddrive (think mac air) so it is entirely shockproof. The one i'm using cost ~$2500TT shipping included. After you use this thing for 1 day you stop thinking of a laptop as portable. No more laptop bag, this goes on your bag and it's shockproof so you don't have to worry about dropping it.
    I ask myself, can i play dota ABSOLUTELY ANYWHERE? ABSOLUTELY ANYTIME? Well, almost.

With only a 900MHz celeron and an Intel UMA video you are at only ~20FPS which is very noticeable and makes targeting sprinters like bloodseeker difficult. It is shocking that Dota is playable on this device which looks more like a portable DVD player than a computer, but 900MHz is just not enough for serious gameplay.

For the record I'm using ubuntu 8.04 and emulating WC3 under wine so my performance would have suffered by as much as 60% but others online seem to agree that Dota is playable but do expect performance issues from time to time.

So my final decision is that ultra portables are the way to go (death to laptops) BUT the performance just isn't there yet so i'll wait for ASUS to put some more under the hood before I recommend this for anything other than internet and word.

2. Hero

Hero New Member

WOOT put dota on the go baby . GJ. Start th revolution here and now .I have only one question is the parts for this device upgradable? and does it support net play . what are the specs in term or modem/ethernet

3. Xecutiona

Xecutiona New Member

um duhh lol through emulation what did you expect?

but put a lil xp or something on that and u good2go!

4. scaR

scaR New Member

I waiting for the ASUS to hit the market to see some reviews of the Atom processor. That is the mini-laptop's main weak point currently.

5. Ihsan

Ihsan New Member

Too small to be upgradeable (without ballz and a soldering iron).

DotA Anywhere Baby:
    [​IMG]

It comes with class 6 WiFI, B&G and Gigabit ethernet. No modem, but who will dota on a 56k anyway?
    I was playing wirelessly at the time.

6. the_steph

the_steph New Member

i was interested in seeing if one of those could play DOTA... thanks for answering the question...

7. Xecutiona

Xecutiona New Member

it seems handy enough.

8. ecktt

ecktt New Member

While its cool an all that men doing this, the fact of the matter this piece of hardware is a ripe off. I'm replying to this thread on a Dell Inspiron 1420 wish cost about 100 usd more, pack much more of a wallop and isn't much bigger.

9. heady

heady New Member

I Not Playing Dota With No Mouse Dat Is Real Guns

10. Geese

Geese Administrator Staff Member

heady...i want a hq version of that avatar plz

11. Paradoxxx

Paradoxxx New Member

Agreed.

12. Ihsan

Ihsan New Member

The price was $TT2500 brand new, not ebay. I can get two for the price of an Inspiron 1420 (that's a lan party)... but that's not the point of this thread.

This post is about DOTA mobility.

NO LAPTOP WITH A 14" SCREEN CAN FIT IN A BACKPACK PROPERLY.
    Those few inches do count more than you can imagine. You should go everywhere with your laptop but it's just too big and heavy sometimes. You actually do go everywhere with ultra-portables. I don't carry around a laptop bag and I don't have to squeeze it into my regular bag. This goes in my bag with all my other books. The specs suck on ultra portables right now but we all know that that is going to change.

13. scaR

scaR New Member

The MSI Wind is looking more like it's worth it. I'd wait a while on those though.