Courtesy vs Convenience: Tips for hosts and gamers

Discussion in 'PvPGN Server (Read only)' started by KOTD, Jun 11, 2007.

1. KOTD

KOTD New Member

I've played alot of games, both as a host and not, and I've noticed that there are some common misunderstandings. When hosting/joining games there are certain things you should keep in mind.

1) Hosts reserve the right to order the game as they see fit, it's your choice whether or not you stay and play. Since the ability to move players around was removed in WC TFT hosts must now trust that gamers will comply to their requests. This would go smoothly if it were not for the fact that some people are in fact not smarter than your average bear. (And out to prove it) This leads me to point 2.

2) If a host asks you to move down/up, to take a different colour or to rejoin, he/she has a reason. If you don't trust them the best you can do is, "save spot plz" and rejoin. But it's very frustrating when the host gets no reply or even a dumb reply for example, "Why?" - You do not need a reason, just do it.

3) If you get kicked try to rejoin once, it may have been a mistake. Often players join and move, sometimes into spots being closed for other players. If you are kicked a second time you are obviously not wanted, and whispering moronic comments to the host will not help your situation. Either all spots are saved or the host doesnt like you, regardless you are not going to get in. Due to time constraints and general trini mentality speed is often neccessary in organising a match, or people get agitated and leave/spam, which means that during busy periods hosts may need to rely on kicking simply to allow a specific person in.

4) The chat in the game room (the place where you end up after joining a game) is small and it is often necessary for the host to communicate with the room before starting the game. Spamming in here is just plain dumb as it simply takes longer to get organised.

5) When a game needs one more person to start and one joins it's not a good idea to click start as soon as the player enters. He may not like the teams, or he may have someone who's team he needs to be on who didnt manage to get in. If this person leaves after the game starts it is the host's fault for rushing it. A good practice is to ask if all players are ready, a simple, "rdy?" or "go?" is understood by all.

6) If the game starts and you are lagging, have random insane delays or everything is moving in spikes or jerks let everyone know in all chat. If the rest of the players dont have a problem check your pc. Do NOT start screaming about weak hosts unless you are sure of it, because unless it really is the host no one will be amused, you of course having screwed up a perfectly good game. If you can find nothing wrong but it affects your gameplay to much then you might as well leave after informing EVERYONE in all chat. Your team would only be disadvantaged by it and I'm pretty sure the other team would want a good fight so rmk it.

7) Continuing the above point, if the laggy player does not try anything to fix the problem he should not rejoin. The problem won't go away on it's own in the minute it takes to remake.

8) If you constantly drop/lag then stop playing... It shouldn't be the hosts job to keep a record of all problem gamers. Although that's what WC3Banlist is for it would just be so much easier if you monitored yourself...

9) Don't leave games because your teammates are weak. If it's a "gosu" game but you have someone who knows NOTHING then I know both sides would agree a remake is in order. But if you are simply losing sit down and shut up, it's a versus game, one side HAS to win. If you join a game that is clearly unbalanced then ask for a balance, do NOT -sp (DotA only of course) ingame simply because you want to, people may be playing with friends, if you don't like it find another game or find some friends.

10) Because you have blue doesn't mean you can choose any game mode you want. Whatever the host calls is it, period. If you attempt to insert your stupidity here then expect a remake, without you.

11) If you have a team with which you want to play find a host and ask them to host for you, informing them of the situation. Do NOT simply join a game with 8 players and announce that you have a side of 5. It's not a Gulf City taxi, have some manners. We understand if there are 2 spaces and you need 3 and you want to ask. There may be someone the host does not want, or someone who changes their mind and you may get the spots, but be polite and informative about it. Imply that you can't stay without them and bow out.

12) As hinted to above being polite goes a long way. It is a gaming arena after all, so no one expects you to say "Good Morning/Afternoon/Night" when you enter/leave but being polite in general, such as not verbally abusing a host for kicking you, or joining a game full of people and complaing that everything but DotA is sh!t (or vice versa). Nobody cares, or they wouldn't have joined. You are alone in your stupidity, go away.

2. heady

heady New Member

this one upsets me the most i hardly make anymore cause of dis

3. ecktt

ecktt New Member

Excellent post!
    You just vented everything I want to say. I'd like to add that if your a quitter, don't join. The reason I brought this up is; some of the "GOSU" players and a few of the not so GOSU, feel is they right to leave games whenever they fell now. Stay effin out.

I vote for this being a sticky!!!

4. archvile

archvile Active Member

wa de..

KOTD u honesly wrote all this? i somehow gettin the feelin u didnt ..not all at least :p

but the message should be clear ppl, take a good read.

AND ACTUALLY FOLLOW

5. KOTD

KOTD New Member

lol arch, this all came off the top of my head in 15 minutes :p But it's nice to see I'm not the only one being terrorised by the scourge of people who refuse to think before they speak/act. Hopefully we can convert some of them. The rest? I vote for crucifiction...

6. Paradoxxx

Paradoxxx New Member

Some good points there KOTD, might be worthy of a sticky!

7. phoenix31tt

phoenix31tt New Member

yes also a host must be polite as well...

if u want a man to leave jus ask... most of the times he will jus leave...
    dont let him go tru to stress of gettin kick twice...

8. KOTD

KOTD New Member

I think you meant to quote the 3rd point which is:

3) If you get kicked try to rejoin once, it may have been a mistake. Often players join and move, sometimes into spots being closed for other players. If you are kicked a second time you are obviously not wanted, and whispering moronic comments to the host will not help your situation. Either all spots are saved or the host doesnt like you, regardless you are not going to get in. Due to time constraints and general trini mentality speed is often neccessary in organising a match, or people get agitated and leave/spam, which means that during busy periods hosts may need to rely on kicking simply to allow a specific person in.

Also if you had read the entire point you would have noticed the conditions "if" and "during busy periods" which neither imply that I don't ask first nor that I would kick players in all situations. It does however state that to ensure the timely start of a game, with the players who are supposed to be in it, kicking is the only option available to the host. If you still disagree then picture this common occurance,
    You host a game and in the time it takes the screen change animation to occur the game has filled. This game you've hosted has 10 spaces, 1 taken by the host, 2 reserved for friends of yours whom you came online to game with. This leaves 7 free spots. Before you made the game 2 other friends asked you to save spots and in the process of making you received 2 additional requests for saved spots. Now you have 3 spots open to the public. The problem? Your game is full, and besides you, only ONE of the people you made the game for are actually in said game that person not even being on the side he's supposed to be on. So you as host feel bad about kicking people because they get angry with you. What do you do now? You CANNOT ask each player to leave individually, because then your game would never start. Besides the "fake afk" players there are the "why should I leave?" and the "I was here first" players. Sure it's your game, but they are morons and you can never be quite free of them.

I hope that this helps to differ people from making random odd comments without justification.
    Maybe you should read the post again.

9. phoenix31tt

phoenix31tt New Member

i made the post because i have seen men get kick without being asked to leave... and no i didnt misquote anything... i quoted that rule so that u would be aware that being polite works both ways... non-hosts are people too

and that situation does not happen all games... so dont say that like is the normz... most of the time is jus 1 or 2 people gettin kick... either bcuz hosts dont know them or 1/2 slots needs to be open etc...

... i still crackin up @ you theoritcal situation doh...

all i'm saying to hosts is... have some sort of decency... respect other players... etc etc... no matter who dey may be or who u may think they are... cuz u host does not make u god ;)

10. spinner

spinner New Member

aint that the truth? some host really get on like that:mad:

11. KOTD

KOTD New Member

Understood

Sorry, I thought that was understood, but since much of this post should be I guess it should have been clearly stated as well. Excellent point.

However...

... i still crackin up @ you theoritcal situation doh... - You wouldn't believe how often that happens. Other than that I always ask for my spots, even though I'm often berated by the players already in the game for taking the time to observe these niceties.

12. ecktt

ecktt New Member

I recently started back hosting and that only because I'm asked to constantly. This thing about "asking" people to leave or the host being polite is nonsense. Why? Because we're doing 9 other people a favour as is. I stopped asking people to leave because 99% of the time they just sit there silently hoping we would not notice. This is a classic case of Peter paying for Paul but when you consider it takes on average 3 games to get 1 GG, I think being a little harsh is a small price to pay. Kicking men is the fastest way to get a GG. Being polite just will just have to spinning top in mud with remakes.

13. seven

seven New Member

jus say sry whoever u in a man spot...

14. phoenix31tt

phoenix31tt New Member

that works as well...

much better than kickin the man twice...

15. MG

MG New Member

try the mg strat lol

kick eeeeeeeeeeeet rofl

wuh yuh hadda do right. is take yuh kick...join the 'next game'...generally is wit a lower standard of players (tryin not to say noobs here :p). and jus pwn their asses relentlessly..i mean like uber beyond godlike a$$ raping pwnage. u might have to do this a couple times for good measure. :D

then after a while, when u join a game wit the same players/host had kick u from...ah man go bawl kick 'x' there. BUT! somebody go spot u and say 'nah nah..leave he. he could play'. u then proceed to A$$ RAPE the man who had kicked u initially like it have no tomorrow lol
    i have done this many a time rofl

if however u are unable to beat the crap out of whoever u feel like, then maybe u belong in the 'next game' :(

16. phoenix31tt

phoenix31tt New Member

rooflll!!!...

good 1...

17. ecktt

ecktt New Member

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA@MG

/me wants to know why he must @$$ rape people. Is there no other way?

18. seven

seven New Member

mg has the tendencies ecktt...but most of time there is no next game eh mg and man go jus end up salting

19. MG

MG New Member

only if is a non-busy hr se7en.
    most of the time..if it have a lot of hard men online..when a good hosts makes..they would generally filter in.
    meaning that the noobs filter out...and well..some noobs could host and thaz where the 'next game' comes out lol

20. Ihsan

Ihsan New Member

I know it really strokes your balls to look at other people and say they "they not good enough to play with me" but being rude to them just being an A$$.

If someone is asked to leave and stays, they deserve their kick so boot away but it ain't so hard simply call your game "GOSU ONLY" or just say "nah boi, this is a GOSU match. plz leave". Lots of players I know don't really play online simply because they think we are all a$$holes and they prefer to play at lan parties/cafe's with people who are not a$$holes.

This unwelcoming attitude is chasing away many gamers from the server and that is BAD weather they are NOOB or GOSU.