The Sexy Resume (not for those who hate reading)

Discussion in 'Life, the Universe and Everything' started by Larutus, May 14, 2009.

1. Larutus

Larutus New Member

When Colin Fish, business manager for Reed Marketing & Creative, recently received a CV stating “I had sex jobs in the last yearâ€

2. Doobs

Doobs New Member

excellent advice to use as a foundation.

3. JonnySpeed

JonnySpeed New Member

4. Paradoxxx

Paradoxxx New Member

Very coincidental that Laruto would post this, last week I had to review 80+ resumes.

If you worked with a team feel free to put as such but then go into detail about your role in the team.

A good resume is essential! without it you will be elliminated easily.

5. JonnySpeed

JonnySpeed New Member

Well put, i totally agree with the word "elliminated"

I'm still in uwi :'(
    and i dont like studying anymore, not even sure why im in agriculture really...
    ________
    AVANDIA SETTLEMENT

6. Doobs

Doobs New Member

orrr...u one of those..agri ppl have an extremely bad reputation outside of uwi.

7. Geese

Geese Administrator Staff Member

Should post a sample resume to compliment the article.

8. mojo

mojo New Member

Quick question, I've seen the terms CV and Resume used interchangeably in this thread. Is there a difference or am I wrong to specify Resume OR CV depending on what I want to see?

I have been caught up in some *gasp* Hiring work myself, and what can definitely get your resume at the top of my heap is that it's sent electronically in a text-searchable format. I also search(CTRL+F) for specific "buzzwords" (which can usually be found in the ad for vacancies).

Chances are that I'll probably miss some good prospects, but when you do a TV ad aired in India and Bangladesh expect a shit storm...

Mass >> micro :(

9. ecktt

ecktt New Member

Taken from : Curriculum Vitae vs. Resume?

Question: Curriculum Vitae vs. Resume?
    What is the difference between a curriculum vitae (CV) and a resume?
    Answer: The primary differences between a resume and a curriculum vitae (CV) are the length, what is included and what each is used for. A resume is a one or two page summary of your skills, experience and education. While a resume is brief and concise - no more than a page or two, a Curriculum Vitae is a longer (at least two page) and more detailed synopsis.
    A Curriculum Vitae includes a summary of your educational and academic backgrounds as well as teaching and research experience, publications, presentations, awards, honors, affiliations and other details. In Europe, the Middle East, Africa, or Asia, employers may expect to receive a curriculum vitae.

In the United States, a curriculum vitae is used primarily when applying for academic, education, scientific or research positions. It is also applicable when applying for fellowships or grants.

10. JonnySpeed

JonnySpeed New Member

11. Doobs

Doobs New Member

I have had the 'privilege' of lecturing a few agri classes a few years ago at uwi so I can understand where some of the opinions come from.

Opinions being "agri students are the dregs that couldn't get into anywhere else'. I put it in quotes cuz thats not me saying it. I'm just quoting from someone I heard say it. Mind you that person is a senior officer in the Ministry of Agriculture.

12. JonnySpeed

JonnySpeed New Member

Wow -.-
    Well in the sense that i dont really wanna do it, i guess i fall into that category of "dregs" :s
    That real harsh tho XD
    ________
    Alaska dispensary

13. Geese

could be worse..you could be doing accounts.

14. eddoes

eddoes New Member

Now that is harsh....

15. mojo

mojo New Member

:S
    OR IT...

16. mojo

mojo New Member

whew... for a while I thought it was just me...
    Long story short, everything after the first page of your resume is pointless and irrelevant in your potential employers eyes.

17. viren

viren New Member

i cant believe jus yesterday i signed up 4 dat agri stuff tho so ami considered 1 of those 'ppl' as yet or do i have to wait until they're my colleagues

18. Paradoxxx

Paradoxxx New Member

Thanks for that bit of info.

lol @ CTRL+F.

I manually go through each application and compare their educational certifications and experience to what was stated in the Job Description. Examination of references is also a determining factor, providing that they are legit.

Mojo's statement

"Long story short, everything after the first page of your resume is pointless and irrelevant in your potential employers eyes."

Is probably applicable to "entry" level jobs.

[font=&quot][/font]

19. Geese

IT in sams :O

20. mojo

mojo New Member

Nope... an experienced person normally has both a Resume and a CV available and they are willing to send the CV after their resume is reviewed. So I should also add that if your resume is "lacking" then you get cut off before getting the chance to present your CV. When applying for any position, you need to toe the line to ensure that your application makes it through at all checkpoints.

Disclaimer: My advice is not applicable to vacancies advertised by the Government of Trinidad and Tobago.