The Circle Revealed (August 31st)

Discussion in 'Event Reports' started by Ninja644, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Ninja644

Ninja644 New Member

The Circle Revealed was the first tournament held by the group called The Circle at Gulf City Mall in San Fernando. The Circle are a group of gamers that have come together to show their skills in different games. At The Circle Revealed Super Street Fighter 4 ver. 2012 was played.

The Circle first teased the Fighting Game Community of Trinidad and Tobago (FGCTT) in June, 2013 by introducing themselves as the best players in the country in different competitive games. Following this an announcement was made about The Circle Revealed tournament in which players would be introduced to members of The Circle and be allowed the privilege of playing against them.

There are several things The Circle must be commended on. The hype surrounding this tournament was enormous. The Circle openly challenged the best players in the country to play against them. What also added to this hype was that the members of the Circle were unknown to most of the public, so no one knew who they were or if the 'threat' was real. To my knowledge there has never been an open challenge like this to the FGCTT before and members of the community welcomed the opportunity to prove themselves. Players from different parts of Trinidad such as North, East (Arima men) and South came out to represent and also see if the members of the Circle had some bark behind their bite. The Circle also did a good job in advertising their tournament which was seen in the number of people that turned out for the event. Holding a tournament on Independence Day was a bold decision on their part, but despite that members of the FGCTT came out to see what the Circle had to offer. I suspect if this tournament wasn't held on a public holiday there would have been an even better turnout. Also, using Gulf City Mall as the venue for the tournament was a good choice. Players were comfortable, there were chairs for who wanted to sit down and if people wanted to they could easily go for food at the food court and return. The set up for the tournament seemed well thought out as 4 large screen televisions were being used, which would ensure a smooth flow of the tournament. However, there were several things which may have been overlooked that caused a stir at the tournament.

At The Circle Revealed being the first tournament held by The Circle it was expected that everything would not be perfect, however it IS expected that any mistakes or oversights that were made during this tournament would not happen in the future. As a fellow Tournament Organizer I understand that each tournament is a learning experience and by pointing out these things out should be done to help everyone in the community rather than try to drag them down. Before the tournament began, a representative of the Circle gave an opening introduction speech and then proceeded to read the rules. One of the rules I want to highlight is this one, which they themselves also stressed on. 'All players MUST be on time for the start of the tournament and their Matches. This is a ZERO TOLERANCE policy, and friends, family or staff CAN'T save you. Failure to do so will result in DISQUALIFICATION' Not more than 5 minutes after reading this the tournament began and in the first match a player could not have been found. Instead of sticking to the rules that was stated or even skipping that match to play another match, another player was chosen to play instead of the missing person. Let me explain more clearly

A vs B C vs D E vs F

A vs B had to play and B was missing. Instead of letting A win the match and move forward or playing the match E vs F, E was chosen to play A instead of B. So, this happened

A vs E C vs D B vs F

This should not happen. If you're sticking to the rule, stick to the rule and let player B lose the match. If you want to give the person a chance (which most tournament organizers tend to do) play another match and give player B more time to be present. You should not take someone that has already been put into another match up and fit them into the current match, that's unfair to the players.

Another point of contention which came out during the tournament was that the Winner of the match was also allowed to change their character at the end of a match. This rule was not stated before the tournament, so when it was revealed that this could happen it caught many people off guard. As expected many people did not agree with this rule as it gave the winner an extra advantage over the loser of the match. It is standard in almost all tournaments (local and international) that the winner cannot switch character at the end of a match, but the loser is able to switch character. I'm not sure why The Circle allowed this rule, but they may have had their own reasoning.

I was disappointed when I saw that not all 4 televisions were being used. There two Playstation 3s being used and an Xbox 360, but the Xbox wasn't being used so there were only two televisions in use. The tournament is already set at best out of five which means its going to be a long tournament because Super Street Fighter 4 isn't as fast paced as Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. Things happen beyond your control which may have led to why only two televisions could be used, so it may not be the organizer's fault per entirely.

Despite some of the hiccups overall, it was a fun vibe at the tournament. Many players came out in high spirits ready to prove themselves and leave with their pride intact. Unfortunately I was unable to stay for the entire tournament so I did not get to see how everything played out. For a first attempt, The Circle Revealed was not a bad tournament put on by the Circle. Members of the Circle came out strong to represent their cause to show that they're serious about what they do. I am personally interested to see what other projects they put on from here especially with the promise of bringing down their foreign Super Street Fighter 4 player General Luke in October (hopefully).

Results:

1st Place - Ché Noel (Rufus)

2nd Place - Tyrone James (Blanka, Ryu)

3rd Place - Fawwaaz Khan (Dhalsim, Vega, Seth)

4th Place - Marc-Anthony Kendall (Akuma, Ryu, Cammy)

Che Noel (Pride) has also written a report on his experience at the tournament which can be found here -
    http://www.trinigamers.com/forums/e...e-revealed-august-31st-11390?p=132676#p132676

2. Prime

Prime New Member

Thank you for this review. It was very thorough and much appreciated. We will be posting pictures and videos of the tournament tomorrow so be on the look out! Thanks again!

Love

3. groff[MFK]©

groff[MFK]© Active Member

Great article Ninja644 and congrats to all the players that showed up to the tournament and also great work by the host *The Circle* ...

4. Prime

Prime New Member

To every one that attended thank you. Just knowing that came out to our event made it all worth while. When our foreign based player General Luke comes through we hope to have another event in Point Fortin. For sure we would get the word out to all gamers, so we can do it just a little bit better this time. About the rules, we are likely not going to change them. Especially the one about the winner being able to change characters during the set, but if any one wants to talk about it they can always contact us so we can do so. Still, THE CIRCLE has and will ALWAYS RESPECT the opinion and views of others. The rules are for every one's benefit, and if some doesn't feel like it is fair to them, we will respect that too. We are about UNITING Trinidad and Tobago's fighting game community. Not dividing and creating enemies.

Thanks to all our competitors. Lets do it again soon.
    ((PRIME)) President of THE CIRCLE
    793-8448

5. Geese

Geese Administrator Staff Member

Winners are not allowed to change characters in any reputable fighting game tournament in the world, that particular rule is an international standard in the fighting game community. If you are serious about going forward and respecting the gamers you may want to reconsider that ruling.

Also Point Fortin is ridiculously far for anyone not living South.

I am suddenly reminded of the prank where scaR posted Fight Club 2 would be in Cedros...

6. Pride_TT

Pride_TT New Member

http://www.facebook.com/groups/255454281197081/permalink/521232384619268/

This is a link to my (Che Noel) summary of the tournament on the facebook group FGC_TT. Anyone is welcome, its just a group where gamers could come and talk about anything gaming