Successful overclock?

Discussion in 'Mods, Guides & Overclocking' started by Hidden, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Hidden

Hidden New Member

Took my voltages up to 1.4V, took the ram overvoltage up(+.1) to a 1.9v

Getting a nice speed of 3618Mhz now , and prime95 is stress testing for the past 20 minutes, no errors.
    Computer seems stable, temps maxing out @ 58/59 degrees C.

Figure thats a decent #, as the temp in my room rises about 6-7 degrees without the AC on...and being that 72.c is the limit for the processor.
    Well you get the idea.

2. kriminal

kriminal New Member

nice overclock!!! but i expected the zalman to cool more efficiently than that.. i myself am disappointed in mines also, saw guys carring that wolfdale core to 4gs on a xigmatec!!!

3. ecktt

ecktt New Member

Not bad but I was expecting much better. You should have been able to do that at stock voltage but then again everyone not lucky at OCing (welcome to my world). Loosen up the memory timings and make its speed synchronous with the FSB. Reduce the CPU multiplier to the lowest setting. Start upping the FSB. Find the upper limit of the chip FSB. When you have add more voltage to the chip to get a higher FSB, you know you hit the realistic FSB limit of the mobo/cpu/ram. Now start upping the CPU multiplier and adding more voltage. 4GHz should a breeze.

4. Hidden

Hidden New Member

:O @ 4ghz.

I'm a bit worried about the temps doh.
    I'm idling at the early 40's.
    Don't want go go anywhere neat 67 on load.

Any real danger in taking the voltage too 1.4V?

The last time I tried the OC , the BIOS reset back to normal...so maybe the voltage was too low.
    Then after that, the system was unstable.

Loosen memory timings? You mean up dey mc?

5. mojo

mojo New Member

more than likely that temp increase came form that extra voltage u tweaked. Follow ecktt's guidelines he knows what he's talking about.

6. opium

opium New Member

din din dowh worry about yuh temp i tink that sensor wrong, keep up de overclocking and manually test de hsf for heat, if u feeling heat well stop

if tings went ah lil crazy cause u gone crazy on it, walk with some barbecue sauce

7. ck

ck New Member

There were early reports of e8400's starting to degrade when voltage was set higher than 1.4V. Don't know how true or wide spread it was but just a word of caution.

Well you not the only one. I really wasn't lucky with ocin my quad.

8. Hidden

Hidden New Member

It's runnig pretty stable ....I'll drop down the voltage and see whta takesplace.
    Took some of the specs from a PC tom's ahrdware reviewed, same specs as mines, mobo, processor etc, and they used a 1.4

9. soldier

soldier New Member

you shud let prime 95 run for a minimum of 6 hours..

10. Hidden

Hidden New Member

Dropped the voltage down to 1.3something.

Noticed the system is running stabler @ 1.4....could be jjust me though.,

11. soldier

soldier New Member

How are you defining stable Dinesh? 20 minutes of prime 95?

I got errors more than one hour into running prime 95. 20minutes is just not suffice.

12. Hidden

Hidden New Member

muss
    leaving orthos to run for a few hrs.
    it's on 1.3V, and 3.7GHZ

13. ck

ck New Member

I saw an error in 12 hours after running prime, 12 hours 13 mins if i remember correctly. 24 hours prime to declare it rock stable.

14. Paradoxxx

Paradoxxx New Member

I concur!
    24hrs for 95% certain stable OC.

15. Hidden

Hidden New Member

Now did a 6 hrs orthos...best I throw on d prime95 now oui

16. mojo

mojo New Member

orthos >prime95 for mulitcore processors

17. if ur experiencing heat probs u could always lap the hsf and processor, that may shave off 3-6 c from the chip. btw for an E8400 3.6 - 3.7 is an average overclock. and according to your board/ram u could get to 4.0 with a zalman 9700

18. Hidden

Hidden New Member

Max=58 Degrees .
    I ran orthos for over 20 hrs, no errors what so ever.
    IT's @ 3.7GHZ now,and 1.3V

19. soldier

soldier New Member

Go for 4 man! stop being a *****!

btw anybody ever notice din dins mobo? LOL

20. Hidden

Hidden New Member

It's on 3.8ghz now, running orthos for about 5 hrs.
    Will let it run through the night.
    however...surprisingly the temps are a bit lower, 58 degrees on stress, running SMALL FFTs.

Will take it up to 3.9ghz tom and see how that goes, then 4.0 by friday.