Project: A New Life

Discussion in 'Mods, Guides & Overclocking' started by camrachi-mishima, Feb 24, 2006.

1. gambitt

gambitt New Member

Just a suggestion for the space thing: thought about mounting that radiator and fan on the outside of the box? It'd give you a couple of inches to play with, but make the whole thing that much more fragile.

I'm guessing you wont be bashing it about anyway, so....

2. 4ndr050v1c

4ndr050v1c New Member

yea we thought about that,but the whole idea of the mod is to fit everything INSIDE.If push comes to shove he can always get a custom made reservoir.

3. Paradoxxx

Paradoxxx New Member

You will need to get a diskette drive borrowed, not to update your bios but to load the SATA drivers on to so the windows install will pick up the drive.

Explore your motherboard driver cd and look for the SATA drivers, there should be a section to MAKE DISK. During the windows install you should be prompted to hit a F key (think its 6 or 2) and thereafter asked to put in the disk.

AFAIK you can't do this using the CD

4. camrachi-mishima

camrachi-mishima New Member

Yom good looking on the info, Para.

So on with the log. Supplies finally arrived.
    [​IMG]

What you don't see in the pic is the hosing which turned out to be a bit large. They sent me the correct ID but wrong OD :angry: :34: <_<

I started dissassembling as so far it was built just for the sake of "sizing up" all the components and to see how much space I would have. This is the result.
    [​IMG]
    Some mess of a machine.

I had been waiting for this little component that was gonna pop into a drive bay, also in now is my new floppy drive <_< .
    [​IMG]

Another look
    [​IMG]

What a mess of wires
    [​IMG]

So anyways, started reconstructing, still in halfway between final build and halfway between sizing up, cause I'm still waiting on my pump which I think may be too big for the case. while I find a lot of space that is just occupied by the cluster of wires oh and so many. Still not big enough for that pump from my eye.
    [​IMG]
    You can also see the crab ram cooler pinchers.

Just cause I know you're so interested.
    [​IMG]
    :bleh:

The result of the knew bay I put in
    [​IMG]
    Those UV meters are both temp gauges. I like them better than the digital thermometers. But i'll keep both.

Well that's it for now. Not much I know. Next up is gettin the pump, making it fit, if it possibly can, then putting together the entire water cooling system. At which point I will have to disassemble again to get the plates on the bottom and all that jazz.

5. Paradoxxx

Paradoxxx New Member

Lookin good, this is the setup minus water cooling I gather?

Please put it on a scale and post its weight (kgs preferred)

6. mojo

mojo New Member

das a nipple shot i seeing in one of dem pics? :unsure:

7. Paradoxxx

Paradoxxx New Member

Shopping spree at xoxide

8. cereal_killer

cereal_killer New Member

and u wonder why he hasn't enough money to buy a psu and graphics card

9. camrachi-mishima

Yeah as it is, no pump yet, so no water cooling. Last night I put together the cooling system, minus pump of course. to let it sit and look for leaks. I did find one, luckily it's on the alumininum radiator that looks like it's going to be sitting out this project. I really did want that second radiator in the equation as the case is so small, less hosing to run thru and more time in radiators being cooled.

These are the components of the cooler, again, minus pump.
    [​IMG]

The pump I wanted pushes 350GPH (gallons per hour) and cost $7 more than the pump that may prove to be the perfect fit (95 GPH), if I estimated anywhere close to reality. Natrually, being someone who works hard for money, I went for the "deal" and ordered the stronger pump. while it's not large by ordinary means, in a tight fit like this, everything is large.

I'm not looking forward to installing the CPU waterblock either. It means I'll have to take up the mobo to get the reinforced plate on the rear side, which means I'll have to mess with all the cables and connectors again. At this point, cable management is a chore, the size of the case and the size of my hands don't match. It's like fitting a hotdog in a needle's eye. :rolleyes:

10. veggieman

veggieman New Member

buildup looking good so far

11. camrachi-mishima

Hi again. Finally got pump yesterday and another suprise package as well :banana: :banana: :banana:

The suprise is my new cpu, I went with a opteron 144, as it was at a good price and Crazy suggested it for the o/cing ability.
    What I didn't appreciate was the method and way the person shipped it. No static bag, and only the small case CPU's come in, but the best part was, she shipped it in an ENVELOPE :blink:
    [​IMG]

Mang, was i tired last night, but I couldn't help it, I wanted to get the cooling system in asap.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is it sitting in my leak test, just letting gravity do what it does, found a leak on my second radiator (can't remember if I mentioned it before :wacko: ) So i popped it out to realize the gasket fell out and lost forever, so I took it off completely till I got a replacement.

[​IMG]
    Fixing couplings. The pump's connections are 3/8" and the tubing I used on all the other components, (radiators, resevoir, cooling block) is 1/4" so I had to add a coupling to connect the pump to the rest of the system. The coupling was kind of costly when I fist thought about it, but they are well made and fit tight. Well made.

12. camrachi-mishima

So I got all the connections together, except I can't run anything till I mount it to the system. So thats what I did. Here's a pic of the pump snugly fit in the system.
    [​IMG]

Mounting the cpu block was easier than I thought, as far as removing the mobo that is. If you've read the post before you'd know I wasn't looking forward to doing over all the mobo connects, well i didn't have to take out much. Thank goodness for the horizontal allignment of the mobo.
    [​IMG]
    I was tightening and tightening the screws on the waterblock, and it felt like it could have gone more, but I didn't want to over do it and crack the board. Sure enough I touched the cpu block and it slid. Not off the cpu, cause it's fastened down, but it proved I could put some more elbow grease on the clamps.

Now that most of the system was in, the cooling block and pump, and I attached the main radiator, the resevoir is attached but not in the case dimensions yet, I had to get it going, the pump is not to be run dry, or else it'll damage it. So you must put in coolant before powering up.
    [​IMG]
    See my sexy arm, and my high tech coolant applicating device? Hahahah :laughing: Don't be fooled, while my arm is sexy, the high techness of the irrigation syringe (60cc piston loop) and a drinking glass. Interesting side note, that scar on my arm is actually a puncture wound from when I got mauled by a dog when I was a kid. I actually had saved the dog when it was a puppy, sure enough it grew up to bite the hell out of me, what a bitch :rolleyes:

Now I started filling up
    [​IMG]

and bleeding (pain in the ass)
    [​IMG]
    Since this was the one connection that had the least amount of coolant sitting I chose this point to bleed from, atleast for the minute. I stuff up the paper towels to catch any coolant that would have leaked. While they say it's non-conductive, I don't believe them :nono:

More bleeding
    [​IMG]

Working out the kinks in the tubing. Since 3/8" tubing is pretty fat, it does not "bend" well, making it bend at too short a space is going to make it kink and fold. Don't want that, now do we :nono:
    [​IMG]

I neglected to take any resevoir shots as it was rarely in the case, I had to keep moving it around to catch the air bubbles I was bleeding out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well this is it for right now. Still bleeding th system as at 1:47am I found a replacement gasket for the secondary radiator and in adding it on to the system, I naturally added a wealth of more air in the system. I'm still getting that damn air out. it's even harder now. I'm going to paint the DVD drive black as well to keep the theme, that big gray crap isn't going to cut it. :kakashi4:

13. CRaZYMoFo

CRaZYMoFo New Member

I still dont believe that the bitch is sending the opty 144s in fuxing envelopes... Mine should be here soon nonetheless.
    She aint getting no great feedback from me nah

lol@ sexy arm

Good stuff son
    The DFI mobo was released in US today. Just need to sell the opty 146 and save some $$
    DFI RS482 Infinity, gosu mobo ;)

Awaiting some full system shots :D

14. Paradoxxx

Paradoxxx New Member

Crazy you sure you not mixed with chinese?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Adding water cooling to the system has made it look a little more clustered. How do you plan to remove the heat radiated by tubing/other electricals from the system?

15. camrachi-mishima

I have no plan on that just yet, as there is no space for fans or blow holes, when I pop in the ATX PSU, it's going to take up another 3/4" so it can't go to the top as an exhaust,. It can't go on the left side of the case as there is a bar that runs parallel to the length of the case and situated a bit over the mid point. So I can't put a fan uncer the bar, cause when I try to take the case off it's gonna get caught on the bar, I can't put it over the bar because there simply isn't enough space.

It can't go on the right side for the same reason, just that it's not just a bar on the right side, it's a bracket. I can't remove the bar on the right side because the case is aluminum and will warp with any force applied to it. I'm not so worried about other heat issues because the case itself is aluminum and will dissapate the heat fast... or fast enough I hope.

As for the cluttered look, there is no disputing that at all. But! I've come to appreciate it, the case is small and tight. Gives it a solid feel, like a block of steel. More pics to come, when I get home I will have to work the kinks out. Bleed the rest of the air out. Decided if I'm going to keep the second radiator or not. And take pics.

16. CRaZYMoFo

CRaZYMoFo New Member

chinese?
    explain dat one for me dey, i aint too sure wha u mean lol

17. cereal_killer

cereal_killer New Member

lol @ chinee

18. 4ndr050v1c

4ndr050v1c New Member

cam needs to crank out ye olde dremel and install some fans in the case chassis :)

19. Paradoxxx

Paradoxxx New Member

This is one of my fav threads to view, really good work by all those involved. I really think camra should have used a larger chasis and abandon this mobile concept since he was going all the way.

A mobile PC to me should have bare essentials and be as light as possible with little room for possible failure.

20. 4ndr050v1c

4ndr050v1c New Member

para check those specs i posted earlier for the mobile pc -_-