Overclocking your rig 1 (CPU)

Discussion in 'Mods, Guides & Overclocking' started by mojo, Mar 29, 2005.

1. mojo

mojo New Member

This is the first of a series of overclocking realted posts which I will be making over the next couple of weeks.

IMPORTANT

Before you overclock your CPU you should know that most likely doing so will void your product warranty. Do so at your own risk, and do not attempt to blame GAMERS for any malfunction which may occur.

So lets get straight to it CPU OVERCLOCKING!!!

Q. What is meant by overclocking a CPU ?

A. CPU's are manufactured to operate under specific conditions. They may or may not be able to perform better based on altering these conditions. When the operating conditions are manipulated in order to increase the operating speed of a CPU it is called overclocking.

Q. Why overclock?

A. CPU speed is measured by the number of instructions* that can be processed by the CPU per second. 1 instruction per second =1Hz. 1kHZ=2^10Hz. 1MHz = 2^20 Hz. Basically put, the more MHz/GHz u got, the faster the performance of your CPU.

Q. Great what are we waiting for?

A. Well, it's not that simple... firstlly we need to know how a CPU works.
    (I'll be brief and just say what u need for overclocking)

Your CPU has 3 major parameters to be considered when overclocking.

1) FSB
    2) ratio/multiplier
    3) operating voltage.

FSB

FSB or Front Side Bus is the speed at which the CPU interfaces with the rest of the system. The overall speed of the CPU is usually a multiple of this value as will be established later. FSB is another topic in itself, so we will think of it for now as a means of establishing a common speed for the CPU to transfer data to and from the system.

ratio/multiplier.

Your CPU ratio/multiplier is the value calculated by the division:

CPU speed/FSB

Hence, for a CPU with FSB 400MHz, with a ratio of 6.0, the CPU speed will be 6.0X400MHz = 2400MHz.

3) Operating Voltage.

CPU's are powered by e.m.f. (electromotive force).
    The Manufacturer usually specifies a certain voltage of e.m.f to power the CPU.
    However if the CPU is overclocked, it might need more juice than what the manufacturer originally prescribed.

Q. What are the results of overclocking?

A. There are usually two important results of overclocking your CPU.
    1) HEAT...lots of it. The faster your CPU runs the more thermal cycles are experienced. Increasing the operating voltage also increases the temperature of components carrying these currents. Heat dissipation is extremely important when overclocking you CPU.

2)Increased perfromance duh...

Finally the good part. HOW!!!

OK, you have your CPU cooler that has you CPU operating at 30-35 degrees C under normal load. If your temp is over 40, come back when u get a better cooler.

There are now 2 things to consider, FSB overclocking and multiplier overclocking.

the latter is only possible on very few CPU chips and revisions. If this works with yours consider yourself lucky.

First you need to establish your parameters for FSB and multiplier. If you don't know, You can find out as follows, enter your BIOS settings when your system powers on. Look for CPU/FSB Frequency. Some AMD chips work like DDR RAM and double their FSB based on another clock speed. Be careful and be sure which one you are looking at. Your BIOS should also have your current CPU multiplier. If not, you can always use the formlua i gave above.

MULTIPLIER UNLOCKING.

By changing the multiplier/ratio, you can effectively increase the number of instructions that can fit into each clock cycle.

FSB overclocking

This depends on how good your Motherboard is. I personnally recommend MSI, ASUS, ABIT for overclocking CPU's. In your BIOS settings you may adjust your CPU frequency/bus speed (FSB) to increase the overall speed of your CPU.

ADJUSTING OPERATING VOLTAGE

Overclocking your CPU means it's doing more work than it was designed for. This might require more Power. P=IV. So increasing the operating voltage ensures that your CPU gets the power that it needs to be overclocked. This substantially increases the heat produced by the CPU and can lead to heat problems.

Finding the right combination of multiplier, FSB and operating voltage can lead to a vast increase in performance of your CPU.

have fun y'all. looking forward to replies

*instructions - some CPUs can execute instructions that others can't. This depends on the instruction set of the CPU amd can also affect performance.

2. CRaZYMoFo

CRaZYMoFo New Member

lookin good i think
    thats all the general info bout ocing there
    just one thing
    do u know any good system monitors to use to check temps?
    cause i have the one that came with the mobo, but there are millions out there.
    i jus want to know if you know a good one that should be accurate

3. Paradoxxx

Paradoxxx New Member

Waw very nice general OC post iwmc :( I sounding like mark now... gosh... anyways.

Crazy I think the application has to have your board(maybe chipset or bios) supported in someway, you cant just run any and anyone so check your mobo for any advancements on your Hardware monitor.

Dont really trust those HW monitors though, they are just there to give you an idea of how hot your CPU/Ambient temp is, the sensor on the board has its limitations. Use it as a guide.

These days CPUs dont seem to be the bottleneck, its the videocard. Fortunately its possible to overclock these also, using software usually moding the driver.

Videocard OCing is one of the more dangerous tasks, where as your PC wouldnt boot if you OC, the videocard will run and if allowed to run to long @ unstable settings artifacts will start to occur.

Mojo next step videocard ocing (right?)

4. mojo

mojo New Member

Para yuh rushin de brush... I wanted to touch on RAM before I went on to videocards since the videocards has 2 elements invloved the vpu and RAM.

5. Paradoxxx

Paradoxxx New Member

I sorry mojo, brush away.

6. CRaZYMoFo

CRaZYMoFo New Member

ram ocing next!
    corsair hav sum lovely platinum heat spreaders :) must buy must buy
    i heard that the system monitors are always wrong lol
    but i figure there must b a few thats mc working right
    its nut such a big deal
    i go stick with the mobos monitor for the general idea

7. PhoeniX

PhoeniX New Member

nice explaination i tihnk i understanding this madness more now thnz man :lol:
    you cud OC RAM? i never knew that well explain again ill be reading lol!!!

8. mojo

mojo New Member

ok now that we have people overclocking, it would be nice to hear about your results. Post some screenshots showing what your CPU is clocked to. I understand that spoilt has a Barton 2500+ that was successfully unlocked. Maybe they (him and opium) might have something to add here.

And anyone else who thinks their overclocking is worth mention, feel free to post.

9. opium

opium New Member

spoilt cpu was a boxed cpu and as i expected it would be a very nice contender for overclocking

before we using a kt3 msi mobo but the mobo had some ram problems and it was given the boot

got a new asus nf2 mobo, remembering that the mobos unlock your cpu multipliers
    i decide to crank de bitch up to the max.

to my suprise it booted stable :blink:

to make sure everting runs well we increaed voltage, now its forever a 2800xp

next try will be clocking de the bastard at 400fsb, 3200xp :p

good cooling is ways important :coolthumb:

10. rumbelly

rumbelly New Member

dred when yuh really get into computers, yuh does realise that yuh could theoretically oc any component in yuh pc yes
    down to yuh 3 1/2 floppy drive :)

ofcourse the performance gains to ocing a floppy or dvd drive are minimal if not non-existent

but basically anything running on a BUS in yuh pc can oc

11. mojo

mojo New Member

It's true that you need a mobo capable of unlocking the CPU multiplier to achieve this, but you also need a CPU that is unlockable. From all the forums that I have visited, it seems that these are quite rare. I have heard that there is a method of manually unlocking the multiplier by writing on certain spots of your cpu wafer. Not too sure about this, i'll have to do more research.

hmmm.... the gf have a Barton 2500+... me wonders......

Next ting i blow out she PC too and i cyah visit Trinigamers no more :( :( :(

12. CRaZYMoFo

CRaZYMoFo New Member

yea@writing on the cpu
    pencil unlocking
    its basically about joining 2 pts on the cpu(varies with cpu i think) with a pencil line allowing current to flow and hence unlocked
    dangerous though
    almost tried it last yr lol

13. opium

opium New Member

mojo look for the de unlocking strip, it will unlock the cpu if not unlockable on mobo

<!--QuoteBegin-CRaZYMoFo
    @Apr 1 2005, 08:29 AM
    yea@writing on the cpu
    pencil unlocking
    its basically about joining 2 pts on the cpu(varies with cpu i think) with a pencil line allowing current to flow and hence unlocked
    dangerous though
    almost tried it last yr lol
    [post=10383]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/quote]

they really want to stop that
    before with ole thunderbirds and such the gap used to be a little gold link break which u could relink with a pencil
    now they burn gaps on the waffer, only way is to fill the gap and use a silver based ink to relink. and again i think they removed all bridges on the waffer now so u dont see them.

14. mojo

mojo New Member

ahh yes the CPU G-SPOT!!! good luck finding it fellas.....

On a lighter note, i forgot to mention that on most recent NVIDIA chipset motherboards, There are drivers which can be used to program your chipset dynamically without entering the bios. That's right, overclocking and changing everything from FSB to multiplier, to voltages.(and some memory settings which i will mwntion in another topic.

NVIDIA calls this D.O.T. - Dynamic Overclocking Technology. It's usually stamped on the mobo package box if your product supports this feature.

15. opium

opium New Member

we just found ah even better one today

rumors of ah 2500xp overclocked to a 3200xp is completely true

spoilt system is now a 3200xp

16. mojo

mojo New Member

Guess what folks i done the big nasty also!!!

Barton 2500 overclocked to Barton 3200!!!

I decided to try out this on my gf's Barton 2500+ CPU. It is an old one and apparently it came from the first batch before they started locking multiplers. Here's what i got...

Voltage: 1.85V
    Multiplier: 11.0X
    CLOCK: 200MHz
    FSB: 400MHz
    SPEED: 2200Mhz

CPU temp: 45 degrees!!! An all time high for my Volcano 7!!!

17. soldier

soldier New Member

Well.. I have my prescott [ normal temp is 45 idle ] running @ 33 idle.. I'm looking to oc it, but i don't know wtf to do.. So I went into the bios and saw the fsb thing [ after changing oc profile or sum shit from auto ].

It was initially @ 800.. So I said what the hell and put it at 900 o_O. CPU went up to 3.38. Temp was @ a stable 33 suprisingly.. But.. what do I do about voltage? I don't know what to do... I also heard you must overclock your ram to match as well? Sigh

I just set the fsb back to 800 before something happened that not supposed to.. help?

18. mojo

mojo New Member

1.well, read the thread first of all.

2.then u might want to run some rounds of prime 95 on a blend test while monitoring temps. If temps are acceptable, continue. If not, lower clock.

3.If you get errors, increase voltage to the cpu core a little at a time and go back to step 2.

19. soldier

soldier New Member

Voltage to cpu core and prime95. got it, thanks ;)

20. Paradoxxx

Paradoxxx New Member

little as in 0.01V - 0.02V per increment.