How do I change my DNS server to an alternate one?

Discussion in 'Help, Bugs and Feedback' started by scaR, Nov 8, 2009.

1. scaR

scaR New Member

Local ISP's particularly TSTT Blink have notoriously bad DNS servers that will prevent you from accessing various sites as well as be slow to carry out updates. This problem has existed since 56k dialup days and shows no signs of a fix.

Luckily there are many free and dependable DNS servers on the internet. You just have to change the settings on your computer.

To set your DNS, you need to find the Internet Protocol window.

For Users on a Dial-up Connection:

• Go to My Computer > Dialup Networking.
    • Right-click your internet connection and select Properties.
    • A window will open - click the Server Types tab. Click TCP/IP Settings.

For All Other Broadband and Networked Users:

• Go to Control Panel > Network Connections.
    [​IMG]

• Select your Local Area Connection and click Properties.
    [​IMG]

• Then select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).Click Properties.

Now you should see a window that looks a lot like this.

[​IMG]

• If it's not already selected, click Use the following DNS Server addresses.

• Insert any two addresses from the list below.

• When you're done click OK on all windows and restart your computer.

2. Doobs

Doobs New Member

nice tutorial. may i suggest showing them how to change the dns settings in the router instead then make the dns settings on the pc point to the router. this way you further reduce reliance on tstt dns servers. if you only change the network settings on the pc the router will still have tstt dns settings and would route through those first.

well at least i think so.

3. mojo

mojo New Member

nope. Either way is good enough. You do not need both. Manual assigning a dns server in Windows TCP/IP configuration overrides the dhcp address sent by the router.

Changing the DNS server in the DHCP settings allows for an admin to only make the change one place instead of all the end systems. That's the only advantage.

Routers cannot use DNS servers since they operate on a lower OSI network layer while DNS is implemented at the Application Layer.

4. gambitt

gambitt New Member

That's probably the best reason right there. ;)

If you have a few machines all hooked up to the router, different OS or have to kill windows and reinstall fresh often, it might be easier to just set it on the router/modem and forget about it. Setting it on the machine itself would probably be best if you move the machine from one network to another (like laptops with wireless or a machine you tote about to play on a lan).

I think for TSTT's blink modems the steps are as follows:
    Type 192.168.1.1 into your browser.
    Enter the username and password for your modem, default from TSTT is admin for both I think.
    Click to expand advanced setup.
    Click to expand DNS
    Click on DNS Server.
    Ensure that Enable Automatic Assigned DNS is unchecked.
    Enter a primary and secondary DNS from the list.
    Save and reset.

I can't say for any of the others, and if anything I have there is wrong for other users, I hope the mods/admin would be so kind as to fix it and drop me a line, or someone can inform me and I'll edit it myself.

5. scaR

scaR New Member

Google has devloped their own Public DNS servers with their own technology. It's supposed to provide faster more secure and accurate performance than the average DNS server. Added the IPs to the first post.