Doing a new build...advice needed! LGA1155 vs 1366 & Intel X58 vs P67

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xecutive_mc, Nov 8, 2011.

1. xecutive_mc

xecutive_mc New Member

After reading several reviews I needed some advice in deciding on the components for my next build.

Note: Will be using Samsung/Western Digital/ Seagate hard drives, Pioneer optical drives, Enermax Liberty power supply (may need to change) and Thermaltake Armor Case from my old PC for new build (still doing some research on videocard and RAM to be used).

Looking at changing from AMD to Intel Core i7 processor. The PC will be mainly used for high-end gaming and video encoding.

Choice so far was a Core i7 - 2600k SB LGA 1155 coupled with Asus Maximus IV Extreme P67 mobo

But when looking at this option I was wondering if I should stick with it or should I go with a LGA 1366 socket instead? In this case, would a core i7-950 combined with the Asus Rampage III formula X58 mobo be a better option than the 2600k SB with Asus Maximus IV P67?:confused:

Additionally, I read that the overclocking option is more inviting on a P67 board as opposed to X58. How true is this? What would be the advantage(s) of going the X58 route over the P67?

Also, I realized that the Asus Rampage III formula X58 mobo offers triple channel rather than dual channel on the Asus Maximus IV P67 mobo. Is there a noticeable difference?

Thanks in advance!:D

2. Doobs

Doobs New Member

p67 imo...x58 is last gen.

3. phoenix31tt

phoenix31tt New Member

^^

what he said.. and yes its very true that the 2nd Gen i7's (2600k etc) are much easier to over clock with more efficient cooling etc

i dont see any advantage going x58 or p67... people upgrade from x58 to p67

and no you wont notice any significant difference with triple chan over dual

4. xecutive_mc

xecutive_mc New Member

Thanks for the input fellas...appreciate it!

5. ecktt

ecktt New Member

I thought tripple channel memory was a function of the processor and not the board.

6. vEsHaM

vEsHaM New Member

Don't bother going with 1366 unless you're on a really tight budget. The socket is dead and Sandy Bridge (1155) outperforms it in nearly every test.

Why not go Z68? P67 and H67 had their own individual advantages but Z68 combines them all and throws in SSD caching etc. as well!