Desktop/Lappy Rec

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dn2, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Dn2

Dn2 New Member

Need to figure out the specs/budget for PC and and laptop. I didn't post my budget because i don't have one and the plan is to figure out what is optimal for the job and then downscale when i get the budget in the near future. It cant be helped.

The laptop...

First of anybody here owns a ~17" or equivalent wide screen laptop? How difficult/annoying is it to carry around? (looking up the weights online but but i would like the view of a local ^_^)

Nvidia gfx...is a must...

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    locally. its looks like this cant be avoided...any retailer recommendations would appreciated.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

a. Like: Dell, only because their last set of ads i saw (a few years ago, i dont really watch tv any more), and i saw some nice styles/colors
    b. Dislike:gateway...i mean cows, come on!

5) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

need to run UT3 comfortably, photoshop, 3d model/design apps (for the 3d modeling app a Nv8400 card on a desktop worked fine for me...so the concern is more the new version of the UT3 engine -Unreal Dev kit...its playable, more so at lower setting but could be better...)

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    both...but mainly as a "portable station"..work, to mom's (home cook food ftw!), when i can kill two birds with on stone(not home/work and wanna work)

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games or types of games?
    UT3 or a slightly advanced version of that engine...

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    more the better...this gonna be costly isnt it?

9) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    prefer to see it irl 1st but its not a prob if it cant be helped

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    alas it will be Xp or 7...hope to get +4gb of ram

Screen Specifics

11) From the choices below, what
    screen resolutions
    screen resolutions screen resolutions
    would you prefer?

c. WSXGA+ – 1680x1050; The middle ground. Again, text and icons are smaller than WXGA+, and more stuff fits onto the screen. Good for having applications open side by side, like a web browser while playing a video.
    d. WUXGA - 1920x1200; Very small text and icons, that can be hard to read. Lots of stuff fits on the screen, which means less scrolling. Good for applications that require a high level of detail like CAD or Photo Editing.

12) Do you want a
    glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen
    glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?

Matte Screen i guess o_O..

Build Quality and Design

13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    naw...once that chick could cook and handle she stories....oh wait >_>

14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?
    forever..without adding to the price ofc

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you want; 80GB to 500GB? Do you want a SSD drive?
    300~500gb...as for SSD, are they the norm for laptops/notbooks now?o_O?

16) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
    DVD writter!!

Desktop

I really dont keep up with the new technologies so here's what am looking at

quad core
    Memory, would like to max it out or at least get 16gb (price prob wont allow this)
    nivida last gen card* (9500 may work)

processing power is what i need here but money is my weak point...and no OC'in...nice 4core, ok mobo...memory to suit (not gonna OC at all), that kinda build if im still speakin english..

if u guys could recommend a mobo, and diff brand parts around the above that would be nice ^_^...

2. Dn2

Dn2 New Member

ok may really need to scale back the specs in the laptop....and just settle for a dell studio or something like that...and they only have ATI cards it seems -_-"

3. soldier

soldier New Member

Why can't it be avoided? :confused:

4. ecktt

ecktt New Member

This thread really confuses me. As far as the laptop goes, you already know what you want. The problem is ur not going to get it locally at a good price, if at all.

ATi and CAD doh really mix.
    Big storage (300-500gb) in a portable is asking for trouble.
    XP was even a choice when picking?
    17" are just impractical imho. a 15" is the sweet spot.
    Performance is inversely proportional to battery life. NV has a new trick up their sleeve for that. Wait till Friday to for full details.

for between 1200-1500 usd you should get a MSI on Amazon that does what you want but you already said that's not an option.

Destop : Get a cheap Dell for 2600tt and buy add-on parts (video, memory, HD, etc). If ur lucky, you'll get an i3 or better processor.

5. Dn2

Dn2 New Member

i should have said dont ask :s

i wont have cash...and im not making the purchase if you must know...(i woulda say mind yuh bizzness but i want to get feedback lol)

6. Dn2

Dn2 New Member

yea sorry my post is a bit iffy,,,under some stress these days, brain not functioning normally lol....and not really sure what to ask for...

yea at ATI
    ok@ storage ... not really as issues...
    no chioce for XP...its just that i think vista is evil...anyway most shippin with 7 now...so going with that
    hmm@ 15"
    ok...already decided to go with the 9-cell

@desktop can i just buy and slap those parts together for cheaper? if not will check out the dell option...

and i hope i can get that printer i opened that other thread for to >_>

and waitin to see what happens friday!

7. ecktt

ecktt New Member

If ur not a tech, get a Dell.
    First off. I don't have shares in dell.
    The reasons:
    1. Warranty and support : 3 years next day service hard to beat.
    2. Price : you get a keyboard, mouse, monitor, legal Windows, okay case and a Foxxcon mother board to build on cheap. Dell makes their big money with add-ons which you can do yourself.
    3. Do you even need a third reason?

On a Laptop note :
    http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.aspx?i=3765

I would still wait till Friday to see what manufactures release.

8. Dn2

Dn2 New Member

cool...liking the price and spec on that ASUS... again sorry for the nub-tard thread >_>"

will wait till Friday...

9. phoenix31tt

phoenix31tt New Member

strongly agree with ecktt on the if you not a tech get a dell
    be it pc or laptop...

more on the laptop side because of the warranty and support

10. Dn2

Dn2 New Member

yea...he has gray hair...

only care about warranty for the laptop tho...

Studio XPS 8000
    Starts at $899 for base config....my current config $968

it looks nice to me...idk. i think its a deal but not sure how long it would last
    local retailers r gay

11. Xecutiona

Xecutiona New Member

u hadda make sure that the warranty could be handled in trinidad eh, otherwise pressure

12. Geese

Geese Administrator Staff Member

i think dell has worldwide warranty.

13. Xecutiona

Xecutiona New Member

not with the 1525 that i bought in 2008, they wanted me to ship that from england to mexico....at my own cost....they mad yes

14. Geese

Geese Administrator Staff Member

you mean dat jumbie laptop u had? yeah that prolly needed a mexican obeah woman in serious :D

15. Dn2

Dn2 New Member

^lol

dont think im going dell with the laptop tho...the only decent configs im gettin is with ATI cards...the prophecy specifies nvidia...and thus we must obey...

the lappy ecktt link lookin like its the one (it says "1-year global warranty")...still gonna look around a bit tho...

16. Dn2

Dn2 New Member

soooooooooo...er...

the dell config i want to get is not available for the "trini" section of the site...wondering if i can still like order direct? there is a similar config but it cost more and has less ram and sports a ati card.

just wanted to know if there will be probs ordering from dell usa i.e. if anyone has before? >_>

edit- i call a place (not sure but they spoke as tho they were an authorized dealer o_O) all they had available or could get want was from the dell Trinidad and Tobago section (u know and jazz about the latin america thing)

edit- ok scratch the ati thing...its just a weaker nvidia card <_<...upgrading to a gts240, 6gb ram and larger monitor came to 1,159.00 (the us alt was $968)

never mind i guess its not that much

17. soldier

soldier New Member

I cud help u with shippin in from foreign :)

18. Dn2

Dn2 New Member

one tiny lil thing tho >_>...

still like the laptop but i just happen to see a few negative comments about the 1366x768 display on it...that is kinda low and what not >_>...should i be concerned or nun to worry bout?

taking bout this ->http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.aspx?i=3765

19. scaR

scaR New Member

That resolution certainly feels a bit too low especially for graphic work. What resolution are you used to working on?

20. Dn2

Dn2 New Member

dont laugh...1440x900, 19" lcd on the pc im using these days...but its feeling kinda crowded lately...

sigh at i still have a 17"1024x768 fat screen i have back home that i have to use from time to time >_>