Competitive gaming or not?

Discussion in 'The Trinigamers Round Table' started by Paradoxxx, Jul 27, 2006.

?

Are you a competitive gamer or are you just here because you play games for fun?

1. I just here to meet ppl who play games too

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rampage

Rampage New Member

learning wc3 helps with you microing, you thinking, etc. that of which can be used in other games like DoW, starcraft, etc. is like someone who plays quake all their life. they doh have to even play a fps game like sof2 before, and they go immediately kick ass in it due to skill from playing quake over time.

eventually there will be a warcraft 4 or some other famous rts like starcraft 2 etc. after playing dota 24/7, what skills you gonna carry across? how to attack with 1 hero and run home to base?

but on another note, it have 2 different type of people as was said, men playing for fun then dota,WoW is cool, men playing competetively, then i think you should play wc3 normal, so you can carry on your skills. i would hate to see a professional dota player left stranded when games move on.

i cant predict the future, but i think it would be a smart idea to gain some rts skills that can be carried on, you never know what the future holds. mastering wc3, helps in other games. although warcraft is different to starcraft, those zerg players that moved onto wc3 already had their micro skills way above par to the new wc3 player.

just my 99 cents. i doh wanna see de trini players left on the pavement when games move on :( , *this is just my suggestion/advice, its not a fact, and its not something you have to follow because i cannot predict the future...just some thinking*

2. Ninja644

Ninja644 New Member

Ramp has a point when he was talking about trini players not moving on. Because this tends to happen when people get caught up with one particular game and don't spread out. Look at the infamous SOF era where it took a load of new people to show the masses that SOF was not the only FPS multiplayer game that people could sweat and become real good in.

With the whole DOTA is for noobs thing... i don't agree with that because even though it IS a mod of normal WC as people say it still takes some degree of skill to master.

The point is if you play for fun, play for fun and enjoy yourself. For the people who taking gaming seriously, don't expect to come in a game of noobs or people who you nto accosotmed playing with and then get angry.

3. Paradoxxx

Paradoxxx New Member

I agree with Ramp but I would take it a bit further. It is my belief that there are some games that can take you further in the international arena than others.

Warcraft III has given Trinidad alot of publicity in the international arena. even with the retirement of TGS VLaD, Khalid, Anderson have made our country proud by constantly defeating the caribbeans 'best' players. PLayers that made it to international leagues. Can you say SOF2 can do the same for our country?

CS1.6 has done us proud as well and I am sure with the proposed changes that valve has implemented to take CS gameplay to the next level CSS will be on the charts once again. For that we should be thankful that quite a bit of us are prepared.

Dota is getting some recognition and Icefrog is doing a wonderful of keeping it fresh with each release. He is however one guy and in time he will get caught up with other activities needed for his overall development. Even programmers get bored developing 1 thing all the time. Should he move on to another challenge the game will become repetitive and ppl will get bored. Normal FT has greater depth and will last beyond dota, look at SC that game is still running strong.

4. RawRr

RawRr New Member

I don't believe in this line, if your a "noob" playing DotA and even if u watch replays of other ppl "better" than you playing and you copy their items or style of playing or whatever it is, you still won't have the micro ablities to control your hero etc.
    I believe most the ppl on the Warcraft Server who plays DotA almost never creep denies, use hot keys, use the shift control as movement for hero or chicken or anything like that. You can play DotA as much as you want but it still requires you to think quick and what you are going to do next as you attack the opponent, what item counters another item, what hero can go up against another hero etc.
    Even though DotA doesn't have much micro abilities in it what so ever it still requires some skill to play it.

5. Paradoxxx

Paradoxxx New Member

Though I disagreed with this somewhat in other posts, I have come to the realization that it does require SOME skill, it may not require as much skill as FT but it does have skill in it.

I think the major problem with the dota players is that they overlook the obvious extra stuff they need to do because the game is so easy...

Only skill could explain why people who don't play the game often come out on top in tourneys over people that play regularly.

6. ladraxxx

ladraxxx New Member

I ent care how long i just want to me gosu..(sky,ANGRY_KOREA_MAN)..like them :)

7. opium

opium New Member

hmmm i now looked into this topic, so we cant have both??

i play because i like it, while liking it want to be good at it.

i dont want to say i am No.1 at it, but fun is an important factor in playing games

so who up for office scout shooting?

8. lithium

lithium New Member

i hate office so bad hoss... lol
    dust 2 FTW

9. Antics_

Antics_ New Member

sounds good.. gaming is 4 fun but ppl likes competition... cause thats wat makes it fun.....

10. opium

opium New Member

i disagree on that part because during tourny some ppl are not meant for tourney, no matter how well they play during competion they will suck under the stress that they must play good

11. Ihsan

Ihsan New Member

You guys stray a bit but
    1. DOTA,WC3,Streetfighter2 is just another SPORT. The PLAYERS determine the skill. The learning curve in DOTA is flatter so noobs learn more quickly but that doesn't mean that is GOSU DOTA > GOSU WC3. (for the record my OPINION is GOSU SC > GOSU WC3 > GOSU DOTA).
    2. You need BOTH competitive gamers and 4 the fun gamers. Who is going to WATCH the tournaments? Who is going to popularise the games? The many 4-the-fun, 6-hours-a-week players.

12. opium

opium New Member

i just spent my 6hr/week on cs:s just now :p

it was fun!!!!

13. Paradoxxx

Paradoxxx New Member

Ihsan has made many valid points. straying just a tad again, coming from a SC background I would say it has many strong strategical advantages over FT but I dunno.. I would say they are equal considering each has their own strengths.

Personally I can't wait for blizzard to bring out SC2, DoW was supposed to be that but imo failed to capture what SC is, just pure hardness.

14. 4ndr050v1c

4ndr050v1c New Member

As a matter of fact,DoW was supposed to be what warcraft is,however,blizzard and games workshop had a slight falling out, and games workshop had to haul more or less. But u can see traces of each game in the other, for e.g the gryphon rider says 'this warhammer cost me 40,000' or something so, and the ork(spelled ork in warhammer) watchtowers look EXACTLY like the ones in wc. Besides para,warhammer is wayyyyyyyyyy older than starcraft ;)

15. Paradoxxx

Paradoxxx New Member

I am familiar with the history of warhammer.

DoW tried to change the core stuff 2 fast(make/break), maybe blizzard disagreed with the way in which dw wished to approach the matter of gameplay? DoW is still a very kewl game but I think blizzard can go 1 up on them with their next strategy release.

Blizzard knows their games and what gamers want. Generals, DoW, AOE don't have individually as larger a competitive gamer base as FT or SC. Games Workshop have to realize they need to copy a bit more and slowly implement fundemental changes.

SC is still quite popular in korea, its even be more popular than FT from what I gather. Say what DOW is prettier :)

16. joker

joker New Member

all i want to know if iz it have guns or not. I love Imperials Guard. Sentinels own ALL ARMOUR!!! :D

17. Loki

Loki New Member

Never been an RTS player... no matter how hard i try... i cannot get my mind into the game, once it goes 10mins+...
    I love FPS and i will play competitively anytime and anyday... Sad thing right now imo... its just WoW and DoTa ... The few times i see some CS i am working *cry*...

Right now wow is to pass time... I am out of game more these days... catching up on anime and doing school work and such... i need some FPS to take back over... so i can start having some fun... I miss the competition i miss the thrill... and i still say in CSS ... you cannot come around eX.

Come on Para... lets get back the killing back in order. :).

18. Xecutiona

Xecutiona New Member

lol...loki u sure u eh lost skill by playing dota all the time?

19. Paradoxxx

Paradoxxx New Member

actually Xe CSS is easier to just pickup than dota/ft, I havn't played with lokes in a while (even during a sweat he was in wow) but Im sure his skill would still be high.

Yeah eX hard no tail in CSS, dota, ft tic tac toe. In CSS my team is more connected than in dota's and in CSS 1 guy can take out all the enemies ;)

20. Xecutiona

Xecutiona New Member

hmm aight..... play meh in 1.6 nah ! :p

nah but in serious the new updatews making the gameplay closer to 1.6 so its getting better