Childproofing an open case...

Discussion in 'Mods, Guides & Overclocking' started by kayode, Nov 24, 2010.

1. kayode

kayode Active Member

Question, though: How much bigger than my CM690 will the HAF 932 be?

I'm not seeing any visual size comparisons. The measurements aren't telling me much.

2. ecktt

ecktt New Member

That looks like a big mofo.
    I called the wizz yesterday. They're bringing Thermal take cases next week or the week after. You might want to head down and look at them first hand. They are actually quite nice. I esp like the external SATA docking ports .

3. kayode

kayode Active Member

I've decided to do all three things. I'm:

- Buying the fans and populating the case.

- Cutting a large hole in the side panel.

- Covering that hole with some fiberglass meshing that I bought on Friday.

My final question is this: Will the mesh-hole reduce or neutralize the effectiveness of the fan layout? I'm cutting a large rectangle to the right of the two fans.

4. scaR

scaR New Member

I would test temperatures with all fans installed before doing the hardware mod.

5. kayode

kayode Active Member

Update:

- The CPU temp I posted earlier was wrong. It was actually in the low 50s.

- Dust was a big part of the temperature problem. After doing a cleanout with some canned air, temps dropped significantly.

- I installed some of the fans myself last night, and closed the case. The GPU now idles at 49-52 (during the day, eh), and the CPU temps are similarly low. CPU is actually below 40 right now...and I haven't even installed the heatsink.

- These fans are damn powerful. I had to reduce the speeds. SpeedFan constantly freezes up on my system, so I ended up using the Abit UGuru to slow the fans down a bit instead. The utility's temp readouts doh seem very accurate, though...they read lower than Rivatuner and Coretemp.

- Things should improve even more when Flint passes through. Two fans are still unconnected, and there's still that heatsink to put in.

All in all it's shaping up decently. I'll share final findings soon enough.