Windows 8 Will Come in Four Versions

Discussion in 'Tech Zone' started by archvile, Apr 16, 2012.

1. archvile

archvile Active Member

Microsoft's upcoming Operating System will launch with just 4 versions, simplifying the consumers choice of which operating system will fit their needs best.

Windows 8 -
    For home users on a traditional laptop or desktop

Windows 8 Pro -
    Geared towards business users.

Windows RT -
    Previously known as ARM, this OS is made to run touch oriented apps on Windows Runtime (or WinRT). It will come pre-installed on PC's and tablets.

The fourth option will be for large organizations or enterprises who buy in bulk.

It's still unclear however, as to when they will be available, or what pricing bracket will apply.
    [Source : http://www.pcworld.com/article/253919/windows_8_will_come_in_four_versions.html#tk.hp_new]

2. soldier

soldier New Member

Do you guys think this edition will be different with respect to features??

Or does this sound something more like Windows Volume Licensing?

3. scaR

scaR New Member

Microsoft needs to come good to get businesses to upgrade. Windows 7 was just three years ago, it works great and is stable IMO. There isn't the dire need to shrug off bad press as was the case with Vista. I'm not sure the touch interface is going to do that.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/consumer-preview

4. the_steph

the_steph New Member

agreed

we only just really started to upgrade everyone here to Win7 (UTT backward)

but it works really well i not sure how they going to sell Win8 to corporations so soon (how they going to market and justify)

5. phoenix31tt

phoenix31tt New Member

thats how it goes with enterprises anyways... only few corporations upgrade soon after release.

so i don't think thats a big worry for them, its getting consumer acceptance and loyalty back and taking over the tablet market

6. Doobs

Doobs New Member

just an added info.

Windows 8 Server will now be called "Windows Server 2012"...how original :p

7. archvile

archvile Active Member

Windows 8 Release Preview

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0UcUgeo0V8&feature=player_embedded"]Windows 8 Release Preview multi-monitor demo - YouTube

8. the_steph

the_steph New Member

tried it out yesterday on a laptop (customer laptop before putting back win 7)

for face value it is Win 7 with the Metro Interface but it was very smooth and easy to use, response time was really fast for all the apps

i liked it, just wish i had a tablet or touch screen to use

9. Doobs

Doobs New Member

i have a network of about 500 pcs. we are now moving to w7. w8/9/ is gonna be a pass for me. simply no justification to get it.

10. Xecutiona

Xecutiona New Member

If they are still going to charge about the same amount as they did for 7, they going to be in for a shock'

11. wildchild

wildchild Member

It's actually not the same price. I'm seeing windows 8 for 68.99US

Does this mean that installation for Win8 would/must require a Win7 installation? The price of the latter is still at it's peak however...

I'm VERY interested in going to Windows 8 and would like to fully understand the steps to do so. Many sites aren't clear on how the installation goes. From what I understand it is a upgrade from 7 to 8, not a standalone installation (talking from a desktop PoV)

12. phoenix31tt

phoenix31tt New Member

for that price you have to have windows xp sp3 or later running to do an upgrade.

To be able to install a barebones you need to purchase system builder which is 140...

additioanlly microsoft has a deal running for the upgrade as well:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_Hero_Home_FPP_Null

40$ for a digital copy of the upgrade...

i've also been told that the license state of the current windows does not matter (havent tested it yet though)... so if you have an uncracked version of 7 running, it wont be a problem as the windows 8 upgrade legitimizes it

13. scaR

scaR New Member

Windows 8 sounding a lot more like a patch for Windows 7.

14. soldier

soldier New Member

I got the upgrade special for 15$

Downloaded the ISO. Burn to DVD. Did a fresh install from scratch.

Presto! :D

15. slickdre

slickdre Member

How is it working for others? I me they brought out this upgrade really quick.

16. wildchild

wildchild Member

phoenix, i tried that link you gave with the deal, and i'm getting a message stating that i cannot purchase because of the region i'm in. Yet trinidad is on the list of applicable regions.. halp?