The Great Fighting Game Debate

Discussion in 'Console Couch' started by CAPOSTATUS, Nov 2, 2011.

1. New Era Outlaw

New Era Outlaw Active Member

I'd like to make a bit of a rebuttal here.

First of all, I think I can personally relate to those guys who don't like their games too technical. I don't particularly like to play Guilty Gear and Blazblue because of said learning curve. I like to play games to have fun, and I don't like to feel like the games I play need for me to take an entrance exam to do so. It's the same reason why I prefer F-Zero to Gran Turismo.

Egoraptor recently did a video where he showed you that a game, simple as it is, can give you an understanding of the basics in the simplest way possible without bombarding you with so much crap you feel like your head's going to unscrew itself from your shoulders. Take a look.

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM"]Sequelitis - Mega Man Classic vs. Mega Man X - YouTube

Secondly, I'd like to see some sources on the whole "KoF is the most played fighting game in the world." Not that I want to doubt you, but SNK going belly up once and being in financial woes now doesn't seem to reflect that people are really into the series. Like I said, the more recent titles in the series were mediocre. Here's a review of King of Fighters XII, to wit:

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltzEkJ69YJo"]King of Fighters XII Review - YouTube

So, like I said. KOF XIII looks good, but it has some proving to do. To me, at least.

As for the point of "awards being based on sales"....er.....isn't sales figures directly proportional to the number of people who bought the game? I don't think a game that generated 3 million copies worth of sales is something to sneeze at. Just saying.

Anyway, that's just my rebuttal.

On topic now, I thought it was agreed from the get-go that MK wasn't going to fly at this event. I understand that you can turn off blood and fatalities, but you still have the gory backgrounds, demons and clothing damage that still won't fly at a family oriented event.

Bah, anyway. I'll be more or less focusing on Ultimate MvC3 next week. If KOF XIII proves good, might pick that up too. These days, though, I'm rather picky.

2. CAPOSTATUS

CAPOSTATUS New Member

Omg Look How Low That Rating Is 6.0? Nah Man But I Never Really Liked Kof And Them Kinda Cartoon Ish Games Anyways I Like My Games With Realistic Looking Graphics, Blood And The Fact That I Can Do Fatalities And Mk9 Is Using The Unreal Engine So I Like That Too That's The Same Engine They Use To Make Plenty Good Games Like The New Batman N Thing That's Why Mk9 Is A 1080p Game But Most Of All I Had Always Like Mortal Kombat Because Of How The Announcer (shao Khan) Laughs When U Hit A Man An Uppercut Or Say Outstanding And Impressive N All That I Just Find That Cool .... New Era The Backgrounds And Clothes Ripping Is Minor In Mk9 While U Playing U Not Studying That So Much Is Mainly The Blood And Fatalities That Make The Game Gory The Reason Why Mk9 Is Banned In Australia Is Because Of The Fatalities I Think It Was Also Banned In Germany Too I Not Sure But Australia It's Banned No Mk9 Makes Me Feel Sad Yo I Need Some Mk9 In My Blood

3. Geese

Geese Administrator Staff Member

NEO you must have mixed up KOF and MK. MK's last set of titles were mediocre all of them from MK4 - MKA with some being horribly broken. Lets look at SNK.

KOFXI - Excellent
    KOF XII - MEH
    KOF98 UM - Great
    KOF2002UM - Excellent

So yeah Mediocre games ? No. KOF 12 was also some years ago and was not the most recent.

As far as most played game goes ? Do I really have to explain that ?

WRT SNK going belly up the first time, that was due to mass piracy of their games, games would be on the net in a matter of hours after release unlike another publisher that did because their games were mediocre. They're in a better place now although their investment in KOF12/13 has been substantial XIII is getting some good playtime in arcades and now even more exposure thanks to the arcade version being hacked to run on PC. Now back to the numbers game, Games being sold doesn't mean games being played. As far as proof goes, sorry can't provide sales numbers because they don't really play these games on console. Maybe this little nugget will do.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...-fighting-game-in-the-world-right-now.103739/

The chinese player base alone probably eclipses anything else being played in NA and EU.

And newsflash none of the games you called Capo are actually 1080p infact KOF13 runs at the same resolution as MK9. There aren't many games on console that are actually higher than 720p

Again MK9 is a great game but best fighting game it is not.

4. Larutus

Larutus New Member

Capo i laugh because you came into the scene assuming that members here are not as informed as you are when your sources are are easier to find than pics of lindsay Lohan drunk.

we need to split this one though, valid discussion with good points but we hijack the thread.

5. Geese

OK thread split in order to keep the DI thread clean. Let the debate continues!

6. Kull

Kull Member

sure thing man.how about a first to ten on ggpo around 9 :00 pm ?

same difference :D

7. Fermin

Fermin New Member

sure thing.

8. Geese

wait..didn't they remove 3s ?

9. Dn2

Dn2 New Member

*checks*

im not seeing it O:

10. Fermin

Fermin New Member

someone by the name of Karnov revenge hacked the severs and made a room just for 3s

11. TaC_Up

TaC_Up New Member

I always thought tekken was the most popular, I guess that's japan alone? Learn something new everyday!

12. New Era Outlaw

Tekken's been rather stagnant as of late. I'm hoping that the new Tekken Tag game will feel like a breath of fresh air. I'm actually looking forward to that. (Kazama Lesbians for the win.)

13. kaizen

kaizen New Member Staff Member

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj1PZZvU3mM&feature=channel_video_title"]Pug Won't Share His Toy - YouTube

I'm sorry just had to :D.

14. CAPOSTATUS

CAPOSTATUS New Member

geese mk9 runs up to 1080i and 1080p i just checked the mk9 case why u saying it don't run up to 1080p? and god of war is not 1080p? what games are 1080p then? i know mk9 is and geese next time u telling me my favourite game is not 1080 please check the game dvd case to make sure u right because the back of the cd case shows the resolution to all games mk9 and god of war collection they remade for ps3 & god of war 3 are all 1080p like i said i am a man of facts not just words i make sure i get my info first

15. Geese

Your facts are wrong.

You see games are made with a native resolution which is usually 720p or lower for multiplatform games. These games can then be scaled to 1080p because you see 1080p on the box doesn't mean the game is 1080p it means that it supports upscaling up to 1080p.

God of War 3 was also 720p native resolution.

So yeah go look it up on google/youtube.

In other news
    [​IMG]

16. groff[MFK]©

groff[MFK]© Active Member

spoonz nah man how you moving so dan ... XIII ... where you living again lol ....

17. New Era Outlaw

Wait...that game's out already? Great gorilla balls!

18. Fermin

Fermin New Member

the real question is, would the online be good -_-

19. kaizen

kaizen New Member Staff Member

once it is nothing else matters kof f f f f

if it isn't :( sours snk.

20. mokofig

mokofig New Member

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFj4jzTKbco"]KOF XII online Test - 13/06/2011 - YouTube
    Online not looking too good for this